Business Intelligence Developer
DescriptionSchool of Medicine IT Shared Services Official Job Title: IT Senior Professional (Business Intelligence Developer)Position # 00772138– Requisition #20997
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.School of Medicine IT Shared Services has an opening for a [full-time University Staff (unclassified) IT Senior Professional (Business Intelligence Developer) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Jobs in this career family develop, maintain, and support computer systems, software, and networks. Functions include enterprise operations, distributed computing, academic computing, research computing, computer hardware and software management, computer networking, telecommunications, systems development, database administration, server administration, website management, programming, desktop support, and help desk operations.Senior Professionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability, and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial, and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying, and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. Work is performed fully independently. The School of Medicine Dean’s Office has an opening for a full-time Business Intelligence (BI) Developer. This position requires an excellent communicator, a curious and inquisitive temperament, and a strong background in developing enterprise level data solutions. The BI Developer will be responsible for implementing and maintaining numerous BI solutions for a diverse set of stakeholders within the School of Medicine. This role will work closely with School of Medicine data owners to translate business processes and requirements into BI tools that support business operations and strategy. Examples of Work Performed:
- Create business intelligence tools and reports, such as physical data models and dimensional analyses.
- Participate in the design, development, and analysis of data architecture and warehousing approaches.
- Provide hands-on participation with common analytics and data warehousing concepts & technologies such as data marts, star schemas, facts and dimensions.
- Author and deploy reports and dashboards built in SQL Server Reporting Services, PowerBI, and Tableau.
- Develop/build/deploy SAAS tabular models. Configuring data sources, load/modify tables and partitions, creating measures, relationships, and model roles.
- Author novel measures using DAX query language.
- Proactively identify opportunities for process improvement to add value or create efficiencies (performance tuning, code reusability, etc.).
- Assist with the design of the dimensional models behind reporting platforms and systems.
- Develop and oversee ETL integration processes by monitoring daily imports, ODBC connections and event / error management.
- Design, develop, deploy, and maintain MS SQL databases within School of Medicine Data Warehouse.
- Troubleshoot and optimize ETL pipelines, SQL queries, and ETL jobs for optimal system performance.
- Complete full lifecycle development for business intelligence (BI) reports and applications. Analyze user needs and requirements to modify existing reports and systems.
- Validate and test output result accuracy; perform code review, data product user-acceptance testing, and other related testing.
Position reports to IT Program Director for the Application Development and Data teams. Supervision Exercised
NoneThis description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range
) for this position has been established at $58,481 to $98,249The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 3+ years’ as a business analyst, business intelligence developer, software developer, programmer, or related occupation, which must include experience with developing SQL queries to extract data from relational databases (SQL Server and Oracle); SQL and Transact-SQL 2+ years’ experience with data analysis.
- 3+ years’ experience developing BI solutions built on the Microsoft SQL Server Business Intelligence stack: SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year-for-year basis.Preferred Qualifications:
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A bachelor’s degree in finance or scientific field
- 2 years working with finance or higher education administration
- Experience with PowerBI, Tableau or other data visualization tools
- Experience with SSAS Tabular Model development
- Experience with C#, Python, or similar language
- Experience in academic environment
- Experience with Microsoft Azure
- Creating and maintaining business requirements and other technical documentation
- Ability to multi-task and participate in a complex portfolio of projects
- Knowledge of data modeling concepts and data schemas (normalized, flat, star, snowflake, etc.).
- Experience implementing Kimball Group dimensional modeling techniques Expertise using T-SQL, creating stored procedures, views, user-defined functionsWriting measures in DAX query language including time intelligence functionsDAX, Power Query M, XMLA, TMSL, MDX, JSON Understanding of Row-Level security design and implementation Ability to convey technical information to technical and non-technical users.
Understanding best practices for data reporting and data visualization.Professional, service-oriented individual that takes ownership of their work and is meticulous and detail oriented.Inquisitive, self-starter with the ability to work independently or on a team.Ability to prioritize multiple projects and requirements while meeting deadlines Ability to thrive in ambiguous environments Job Category:
Information TechnologyPrimary Location:
Apr 21, 2021Unposting Date:
Share this job with your network:
Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University