Professor of Professional Practice & Social Work, Department of Sociology & Anthropology
Job no: 495131
Work type: Regular Full-Time
Location: Glassboro, New Jersey
Categories: Faculty - College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The Professor of Professional Practice will oversee recruitment activities, admissions events and orientations, student support, and field education.
Once the program is established, the Professor of Professional Practice will be expected to administer the program. This includes: schedule courses, recruit and support instructors for the Master of Social Work (MSW) courses each term, provide orientation and resources for teaching as needed. This position will supervise the field staffing faculty, and teach one MSW course per semester.
The Professor of Professional Practice will be expected to participate in local, regional and national social work organizations, conferences and meetings, and contribute to peer-reviewed publications to enhance MSW Program curricular offerings and share innovative curricular and programmatic advances.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight and leadership of the Social Work Program.
- Oversee all aspects of degree and program development and align them with professional standards for CSWE accreditation.
- Anticipate need for new curricular development in emerging areas of practice.
- Teach as well as, professional service and community engagement
- Applied research agenda with diverse groups, including underserved communities
- Strong student orientation and commitment to student success, understanding of and experience working with diverse students
- Oversee implementation of a student assessment plan to ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Promote the knowledge, skills, and values expected of professional Social Workers, and consistently role model them.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, community engagement, and social justice.
- Provide outreach to students via social media and other platforms as needed to create community and provide support.
- Minimum Master of Social Work (MSW) from a CSWE-accredited institution with, Ph.D. preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ experience with administrative leadership
- Experience or willingness to teach courses online
- Commitment to quality teaching and promoting an inclusive educational environment that affirms the value of diversity
- Experience with CSWE accreditation process
About the College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences is the second largest college at Rowan University with seven departments, seven interdisciplinary programs, and fifteen seventeen majors. The College also houses a number of Centers and Institutes that serve both research and pedagogical functions. CHSS places a strong emphasis on exceptional teaching, research and service. Our mission is to empower, transform, and engage students and faculty, as well as the global communities in which we work & live. We actively support faculty research and strive to include faculty as full partners in governance within the College.
About Rowan University
Rowan University is a comprehensive research institution with an R2 Carnegie Classification. The university has 16,120 undergraduate students, 2,228 graduate students, and 1,117 professional/medical students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, and it has a branch campus and medical school in Camden and a second medical school in nearby Stratford. Rowan is only the second university in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical-degree granting programs. The School of Osteopathic Medicine has a faculty practice plan that serves approximately 200,000 patients throughout Southern New Jersey. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park and a business incubator, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. The University comprises eight colleges and two schools — the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering, the William G. Rohrer College of Business, the Ric Edelman College of Communication and Creative Arts, and the Colleges of Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, Science and Mathematics, the Thomas N. Bantivoglio Honors College, and the Schools of Earth & the Environment and Health Professions.
Rowan University promotes a diverse community that begins with students, faculty, staff and administration who respect each other and value each other’s dignity. By identifying and removing barriers and fostering individual potential, Rowan will cultivate a community where all members can learn and grow. The Rowan University community is committed to a safe environment that encourages intellectual, academic, and social interaction and engagement across multiple intersections of identities. At Rowan University, creating and maintaining a caring community that embraces diversity in its broadest sense is among the highest priorities.
Timeline for Applications
Review of applications will begin on May 30, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. The expected start date is July 1st, 2021. E-mail inquiries concerning this position may be sent to [email protected]
Please submit your application through the Rowan University Career Site online. Candidates should submit a single pdf that includes a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of experience and interests (two pages), a diversity statement (outlining how you plan to contribute to diversity, inclusion, and equity through your professional work), a list of at least three references with contact information, and up to two publications or manuscripts. We will notify you in advance of any requests for reference letters.
Advertised: Apr 20 2021 Eastern Daylight Time