RESEARCH FELLOW, RESEARCH MANAGER, Antiracist Tech Initiative (ATI)
RESEARCH FELLOW, RESEARCH MANAGER, Antiracist Tech Initiative (ATI)Tracking Code3205 Job Description
The mission of the Boston University Center for Antiracist Research is to convene varied researchers and practitioners to figure out novel and practical ways to understand, explain, and solve seemingly intractable problems of racial inequity and injustice. We foster exhaustive racial research, research-based policy innovation, data-driven educational and advocacy campaigns, and narrative-change initiatives. We are working toward building an antiracist society that ensures equity and justice for all.
The BU Center for Antiracist Research founded in 2020 by Dr. Ibram Kendi the Center is rapidly growing and looking for passionate individuals to join their dedicated research teams and initiatives.
The Research Manager is broadly responsible for enabling rigorous research about racial inequity in the tech industry. The Research Fellow will work closely with the Associate and Assistant Directors for the Antiracist Tech Initiative (ATI) to secure datasets, manage partnerships with data donors, design and implement research investigating racism across the tech ecosystem - from schools to firms to communities. Although projects will vary, the majority of the team’s work will involve conducting applied data-driven social science research that leverages novel big data and field experiments. ATI’s aim is to conduct scientific evaluations to find out what works for addressing racial inequity in tech and help bring solutions to scale.
- Manage regular engagement with partners providing data to ATI. Partners include companies, non-profits, government agencies, practitioners, and policymakers. This position will be responsible for collaborating with partners through the entire process of data sharing (from early indication of interest to executing data usage agreements to IRB to data cleaning and codebook creation). Responsible for regular engagement, partner management, troubleshooting issues, and being the main point of contact for these partners.
- Work closely with Center leadership, ATI ADs, data scientist, and research teams to design and implement rigorous research designs—including but not limited to randomized control trials, survey experiments, behavioral interventions, qualitative interviews, and econometric analyses.
- Work with ATI ADs to develop and maintain protocols and procedures for safe and secure data transfer as well as for provisioning data access to various research teams.
- Support authorship of academic papers, presentations, white papers, and other publications.
- Prepare agendas and manage weekly team meetings, conduct general follow-up of all projects, facilitate internal/external communication.
- Develop and implement policies, processes, and systems to optimize operational efficiency, and manage current and future organizational structure.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience managing client relationships, managing projects independently, meeting project timelines, and communicating with internal and external stakeholders in a productive and timely manner.
- Ability to take initiative and manage multiple projects with minimal supervision.
- Manage other full-time research staff and part-time research assistants.
- Understanding of conducting applied data driven social science research, preparing manuscripts for publication, designing field experiments, and conducting research.
- Exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Self-motivated and experience working collaboratively to build consensus in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
Education & Training:
Master’s degree or above in quantitative social science, sociology, social psychology, economics, statistics, public policy, political science, or a related field and/or an equivalent combination of experience/training.
Experience working with field experiments, large datasets, and computational social science research methods is preferred.
This position is for a two year appointment term, with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon funding. This position is eligible for Boston University's generous benefits package including health, dental, life insurance, tuition remission, paid time off, and so much more
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.Required Skills
Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular