Research Associate in Engineering Systems and Environment
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-25
A postdoctoral research associate position is available in the research group of Dr. Negin Alemazkoor in the Department of Engineering Systems and Environment at the University of Virginia.
In this role, the successful candidate will collaborate with Dr. Negin Alemazkoor, Dr. Paul Kunk and Dr. Natalie Aviles on a project titled “Early Prediction of Gastrointestinal
Cancers Response to Chemotherapy”. The goal of the project is to use data science and machine learning tools to investigate the relationship between tumor characteristics and mutations as well as early laboratory and CT scans results with the outcome of chemotherapy.
- Working in an embedded environment with medical doctors and oncology fellows;
- Applying data science and machine learning capabilities to chemotherapy response prediction;
- Publishing peer-reviewed articles reputed top journals in the field;
- Helping in proposal writing;
- Contributing to development of an application software.
- Ph.D. in computer science, electrical engineering, applied mathematics, or a closely related field by the start date;
- Proven track record of research publications;
- Experience in scientific computing and algorithm/software development;
- Ability to work with large datasets (experience in working with medical data and images is preferred);
- Experience in machine learning and data science;
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Experience in Python, MATLAB, R, or C++.
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and attach a curriculum vitae, cover letter, 1-2 peer-reviewed publications related to this position, and contact information for three references.
Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the CV box.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Posting will remain open until filled. Candidates from underrepresented groups in STEM are strongly encouraged to apply. Preferred start dates are between June 1 and July 1, but later start date may also be possible.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
This is a one-year appointment that may be renewed for up to two additional one-year terms, contingent upon available funding and satisfactory performance.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Dr. Negin Alemazkoor, Assistant Professor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding the application process, contact Rich Haverstrom, Faculty Search Advisor, at email@example.com.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.