Business Operations Manager
University of Colorado | CU Denver
Business Operations Manager
Position #00350237 – Requisition #20929
- Fiscal management from daily transactions and reconciliations, to more broad oversight, management, guidance, and development of University Communications budget and operations in support of the unit’s strategic plan, and
- Development, communication, and training of internal office policies and procedures, including to ensure the unit’s continued efficient operation and compliance, human resources processes, and facilities maintenance.
- Sit on the unit leadership team and provide guidance on financial and HR policies and procedures, as well as business operations for the unit.
- Actively participate as a member of the leadership team in establishing vision and direction for the unit by means of structural, operational, and financial recommendations, with special emphasis on cultivating a strong team culture.
- Regularly meet, collaborate, advise, and recommend strategy to the leadership team, specifically the Vice Chancellor, on financial decisions, expenditure forecast projections, and resource allocations, identify potential shortfalls, and make strategic recommendations for any necessary adjustments associated with operations accounts and personnel spending.
- Develop remote/telework practices that align with university policy and meet the business objectives of the unit. Manage remote/telework plans and schedules with supervisors for their staff, ensure agreements and best practices are being met.
- Manage (in partnership with other staff) the development, communication, and training of internal office policies and procedures to ensure the unit establishes and continues efficient operations.
- Establish standard operating procedures for project intake, planning, and status updates. Work with project leads on resource allocation (budget/vendors/staff), task management, and deliverables using project management tools.
- Develop executive-level presentations as needed for major meetings and initiatives and provide other communications support as needed.
- Establish, implement, and maintain effective safeguards to prevent the improper disclosure of highly sensitive and/or confidential information.
- Attend meetings on behalf of unit to provide representation and support. Serve as representative on university and system committees as identified.
- Identify, schedule, and organize unit meetings and team-building events.
- Assist with targeted calendar management for Vice Chancellor and leadership team.
- Maintain supplies, office equipment, and employee technology, including coordination of maintenance and repair.
- Develop, oversee, and implement all financial and general processes for the University Communications budget in collaboration with the central budget office.
- Establish rolling three-year budget forecast in support of unit’s strategic plan.
- Provide recommendations and guidance on annual and project-based budget forecasts, planning, and expenditures in collaboration with leadership team, budget office, and project leads, as appropriate.
- Responsible for managing procurement processes from beginning to close: consultation and coordination with the Procurement Services Center for RFPs, Documented Quotes, and other vehicles for vendor identification and selection; budget allocation; purchase orders; encumbrance tracking and closeout; project progress and receipt of deliverables with project lead; invoice payment; and vendor relationship management.
- Responsible for reconciling expenses for staff procurement cards and submitting for approval to appropriate speedtypes and account codes. Reconciliation includes assuring compliance with purchasing rules and travel expense guidelines, and informing staff of changes in policy, in addition to periodic re-training.
- Responsible for journal entries: transfers or receipt of funding, expenses, or other charges as appropriate.
- Provide guidance to unit on HR policies and procedures.
- Develop position descriptions with hiring managers and HR business partner or Student Employment Office. Input job postings in CU Careers (Taleo) and post on other external job posting sites as appropriate, or Handshake for students.
- Coordinate recruiting process with search committee chairs, including scheduling of interviews, completion of reference checks, and follow-up with hiring managers on candidate status.
- Direct and update the onboarding process for new University Communications employees, to include entering appointments into HCM system once hiring decision is made; ensure receipt of all necessary documents including background checks, I-9, E-Verify, and any other new hire paperwork, schedule new employee orientation, create computer passwords/accounts, ensure appropriate employee technology is ordered and assigned, and other onboarding tasks as needed.
- Makes changes in HCM system as needed and maintain all unit employees’ status.
- Assist VC and managers with all aspects of personnel actions, including performance management and improvement plans.
- Maintain all unit employees’ limited personnel records, i.e., leave requests, time records, annual evaluation documentation, etc.
- Serve as liaison between University Communications and HR, Admin and Finance, etc., attending regular meetings for campus management as well as peer group for updates and support.
- Coordinate professional training programs for the office and assist individual managers with staff professional development plans. Keep staff informed of updates to training requirements both University Communications-specific and campus wide.
- The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $57,764 to $72,000.
- The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training. The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
- This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
- Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
- Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
- Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
- A bachelor's degree in business, finance, accounting, marketing, communications, human resources, project management, information systems, or related field from an accredited institution.
- 5 years of work experience in finance, human resources, business operations, and/or project management.
- 7+ years of related work experience in extensive, diverse, and progressively responsible roles in finance, human resources, business operations, and/or project management including serving as a member of a unit leadership team.
- Professional experience working in a marketing and communications department.
- Experience with PeopleSoft HCM and Axiom or similar software for HR, budgeting, and planning tools.
- Experience with Concur or similar software to process expense reports and travel reimbursements.
- Experience with CU Marketplace or similar software to manage vendors, processing purchase orders, payables, and/or supply ordering.
- Experience with budget and expense forecasting, planning, and reconciliation in a professional environment.
- Experience with HR services to include employee onboarding, leave, payroll, performance management, learning and development, employee engagement, and similar functions.
- Experience with project management tools and implementing standard operating procedures for project intake and planning.
- High-level of proficiency in Excel to develop formulas, automated reports, among other skills, to support fiscal responsibilities.
- Proficient in presentation development using PowerPoint or similar tool, including creating and organizing information in a clear, logical way to achieve communication goals.
- Proficient in the use of project management tools to optimize and improve operations processes and efficiencies of the unit.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, adapt to changing priorities, manage time, and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with State of Colorado fiscal policies and procedures.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Apr 20, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing