Help Desk Professional
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-05-26
The University of Virginia's Department of Student Health is seeking a Help Desk Professional. Help Desk employees provide consultative and technical support services to faculty, staff and students to ensure timely problem resolution, system/data access and optimal system performance. The Help Desk Professional answers user questions concerning computer hardware and software. They provide support for desktop, mobile computing, and client/server technology. Software includes Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft Office plus several University specific or Student Health specific programs. The Help Desk Professional provides training to users on use of hardware and software and performs annual and as-needed hardware inventories.
Help Desk employees provide consultative and technical support services to faculty, staff and students to ensure timely problem resolution, system/data access and optimal system performance. Help Desk employees apply skills to solve routine problems without review and devise approaches to performing assignments. They perform routine daily activities without supervision. They work on longer-term assignments under immediate supervision. They may train, serve as a resource, or provide guidance to other Help Desk employees on routine work, processes, and policies. They work with related teams and client groups and working toward specific team goals.
- Provide technical support to the university community to resolve first and second tier common desktop software, hardware and communications issues in an efficient and timely manner. Accurately document request history. Triage and route advanced second and third tier requests to the appropriate technical personnel.
- Provide timely resolution of problem or escalation on behalf of the user by maintaining strong working relationships with IT professionals in areas such as network services, software systems engineers, and application developers.
- Perform system upgrades and new system deployments when needed.
- Provide basic application and system training for users.
- Assist in the development of standard operating procedures and customer service guidelines. May assist with hardware and software evaluation.
- Follow proper procedures related to secure computing, account maintenance and purchasing.
- Maintain accurate documentation to support these efforts.
In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, Computer Engineering or related discipline
Experience: At least one year of experience. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
Preference will be given to applications received by June 11, 2021. The selected candidate will pass a background check and drug/health screening prior to employment. PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for 'R0023732.' Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address). PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, search for ''R0023732, ' complete the application and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address). Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the 'Resume' box. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. For information regarding the position or the application process, please contact Michele Jarman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.