Chair, Department of Surgery (Associate/Professor T/TE)
Medicine AdministrationDepartment Website Link:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
University of Arizona Health Sciences, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The College of Medicine – Tucson (COM-T) is inviting applications from academic surgeons for the position of Chair, Department of Surgery. Reporting directly to Dean Michael M.I. Abecassis, the chair will work collaboratively with the leaders of COM-T and Banner University Medicine to build upon excellence across the tripartite mission in existing clinical, educational and individual as well as team-based research programs to position the department for growth through innovation. The chair will provide strategic and tactical leadership for all aspects of the department by supporting the continuum of general surgical services, with particular opportunities to both develop and grow subspecialty areas. The chair will focus on efforts to optimize use of and manage existing resources, as well as foster a culture of philanthropic development. The leader will have the ability to grow these surgical programs by leveraging departmental strengths, recruiting and retaining talented faculty to expand the UArizona/Banner Health footprint including corresponding services at Banner University Medicine’s Tucson facilities, and by expanding relationships and partnerships with community providers. Thus, the chair will be responsible and accountable for the clinical growth, research advancement, teaching excellence of the department and enhancement of its national reputation.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Establish a vision, tactical strategy and business modelwith the appropriate operating infrastructure to ensure clinical operations areeffective, service oriented and efficient.
- Develop, maintain and expand high-quality clinical servicesand programs at Banner – University Medicine affiliated teaching hospitals andclinics to allow for the Department of Surgery to be recognized as the marketleader and premier provider of surgical services in the region.
- Provide leadership that promotes professional development ofexisting faculty members and attracts highly motivated and exceptional faculty,staff and trainees to the department. Ensure the department is recruiting thebest faculty and staff to meet its strategic goals.
- Coach, mentor and develop others to build internalleadership capabilities for succession. Develop the next generation of academicphysician leadership in the department.
- Foster a culture of interdisciplinary research throughcollaboration with affiliated departments and centers and expand aninfrastructure that enhances research innovation and productivity.
- Establish appropriate communication channels with faculty,staff and administration that result in trust, alignment and collaborativeworking relationships in the pursuit of improved departmental cohesion and teamenvironment.
- Develop key institutional partnerships and strategicrelationships and define and pursue interdisciplinary clinical and researchgoals that align with the university, health sciences, COM-T, and Banner Healthstrategic goals.
- Create, implement and maintain defined standard objectivesfor clinical operations, quality, surgical outcomes, patient access, financialtargets and volume growth.
- Oversee departmental budgeting and resource management, meetdepartmental financial goals, and enact policies and processes that promotefiscal accountability and responsibility.
- As the educational leader of the department, ensure an excellentteaching program for the students, residents, and fellows who are receivingeducation and training within the department.
- Identify new, and expand existing sources of funding,including extramural clinical and translational research grants, philanthropyand clinical revenue.
- Develop partnerships in the region to enhance the clinicaloperations and ensure a high value experience for patients and referringproviders. Monitor and consistently work to improve clinical quality.
- Serve as a spokesperson and advocate for the department,both in the university, across Banner Health and in the community.
- Ensure implementation of university policies pertaining tofaculty governance and evaluation and actively enhance diversity.
- Be accountable for compliance with Joint Commission, federaland state accreditation requirements, as well as compliance with university andcollege policies and procedures.
- An MD or MD/PhD or equivalent degree from an accreditedinstitution with board certification by the American Board of Surgery.
- Ability to obtain licensure in the State of Arizona.
- A minimum of five years demonstrated successful leadershipachievements in a large volume, high-performing, contemporary department withina health system with comparable complexity to UArizona/Banner Health.
*Preferably meet UArizona criteria for appointment to a tenured/tenure-eligible senior level faculty position. *National/international reputation as a respected and accomplished surgeon with proven, substantial, and progressive achievements across academic missions. *Evidence of an astute understanding of academic clinical practice and a deep commitment to clinical excellence based on a patient-centered model of care. *Demonstrated understanding of finances in healthcare administration in the context of an academic medical center. *Evidence of success in developing strong clinical programs that recognize and meet the needs of the various providers with whom the department works, those of the students, residents and fellows that the department educates and trains, as well as those of the patients whom the department serves. *Record of success in mentoring and developing faculty, students and trainees, and supporting them directly or indirectly in research, teaching and clinical endeavors. *Track record as a creative and strategic thinker who is able to envision, design, implement and manage for the future. *Demonstrated ability to build and lead teams, and to develop strong ties and connections with internal and external constituencies and individuals.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Clinical FacultyBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
DOE, commensurate with AAMC benchmarksCompensation Type:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Type of criminal background check required::
Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Geoffrey Rubin MD |Search Committee Chair |[email protected]Open Date:
4/16/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.