Science Writer (Cancer Center)
Cancer Center DivisionDepartment Website Link:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
University of Arizona Health Sciences, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
Do you have a passion for writing and editing compelling content? The University of Arizona Cancer Center (UACC) is seeking a qualified applicant for the position of Science Writer. The UACC is dedicated to preventing and curing cancer and is the only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center headquartered in the state of ArizonaThe successful candidate will be a skilled writer with a strong command of grammar, punctuation and AP style. The Science Writer will be part of the UACC communications team, reporting to the Director of Communications and Public Affairs. The Science Writer is responsible for planning, producing and executing internal and external communications that engages target audiences with exceptional research stories that advances brand and strategic initiatives through a primary focus on storytelling, practical and inspirational messaging, and effective and engaging platforms.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
The Science Writer translates complex scientific information into comprehensible and appealing messaging and is responsible for the writing, editing and producing content across platforms including: news releases, digital campus publications, website articles, brochures, announcements and other channels, while collaborating closely with campus colleagues, departments and centers to develop news and feature coverage highlighting faculty research, student success, special achievements and select events at the Cancer Center.
- Develop pitches, conduct interviews, write, edit, obtain approvals and meet deadlines for news releases that translate complex scientific information into comprehensible and appealing news for external media.
- Develop pitches, conduct interviews, write, edit, obtain approvals and meet deadlines for digital campus publications/websites, announcements and other other channels, targeting Cancer Center market segments.
- Proofread and create content to ensure consistency in voice, style and quality across communication materials (newsletters, PowerPoint, brochures, rack cards and other channels).
- Create core messaging and text for advertising, promotional and marketing content; develop scripts for video and radio as needed.
- Seek out opportunities to apply new and innovative approaches to reaching target audiences and inspiring brand awareness.
- Demonstrates flexibility to shift directions quickly when priorities change; takes initiative and finds creative solutions to problems.
- Establish working relationships with faculty, staff and students across the Cancer Center, within the University of Arizona and external partners, to identify and write newsworthy articles; work with the Office of Communications at the University of Arizona Health Sciences, the UArizona Foundation, Main Campus, and hospital communications teams to develop, plan and obtain approval to effectively disseminate news.
- Develop relationships with science reporters, editors and producers to anticipate coverage to place and pitch stories about Cancer Center experts.
- Prepare periodic reports and records on activities, progress, status or other special reports for management or outside agencies.
- Ensure standard operating procedures, necessary protocols and approval processes are followed consistently, while managing internal resources effectively.
- Participate in meetings and conferences pertinent to area of responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent writing, editing, copywriting and proofreading skills across multi-channel platforms, with a demonstrable portfolio of published work.
- Strong command of grammar, punctuation and AP style.
- Attention to detail with excellent organizational, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop relationships and manage a wide range of media and campus contacts.
- Ability to work effectively to meet critical deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex topics and research into compelling story to lay audiences.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience required.
*Knowledge of communications best practices and AP style. *Technical and/or science writing experience. *Ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously, while managing competing priorities. *Experience working in a professional communications team to engage targeted audiences, while interacting with a variety of stakeholders. *Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills. *Conversant with scientific concepts. *Track record of news media placements that feature scientific discoveries and advances. *Experience creating multimedia content *Experience with email marketing systems (Constant Contact or MailChimp). *A master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English, Science or related field.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Communication and MarketingBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$47,048 - $65,344Compensation Type:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
8Career Stream and Level:
Communications & MarketingType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Megan Guthrie | [email protected]Open Date:
4/16/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume, Cover Letter, and Two Additional DocumentsSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Candidates are required to upload a copy of their resume, cover letter, and two published writing samples.Diversity Statement:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.