Licensed Veterinary Technician-LAM
Posting Date: April 16, 2021 Posting End Date: June 30, 2021
Position: Licensed Veterinary Technician-Large Animal MedicineDepartment: Veterinary Teaching Hospital/CVM
Status: Full-Time: Exempt
In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University demonstrating “Excellence in Every Way”, the ideal Licensed Veterinary Technician-Large Animal Medicine will possess the willingness to use his or her expertise to assist in the university’s efforts to be a sustainable academic organization committed to excellence.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
- Assist clinicians / veterinarians, interns and students in restraint and treatment of patients.
- Monitor patients and do routine procedures, such as fecal, urine and blood collection.
- Assist with palpation labs, technique labs.
- Prepare and monitor patients for surgery, administer injectable drugs for anesthesia and operate gas anesthetic machines.
- Maintenance of equipment, supplies and drug inventory.
- Assist with field surgeries.
- Maintain and stock small animal surgical supplies and keep surgery rooms clean (disinfected and sanitized)
- Monitor the work – study students with stocking supplies in all wards.
- Stock and maintain ambulatory vehicles.
- Maintenance of the following equipment: anesthetic machines, oxygen tanks, endoscopes, arthroscopic unit and ultrasound equipment
- Teach students IV catheterization, fluid administration injection techniques, bandaging techniques, pain control and anesthetic protocols.
- Check patient records daily and record medication and input daily charges.
- Perform a daily patient census and report list of hospital cases to the front office.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
- Completion and certification from an accredited school as a Veterinary Technician
- Animal – related work experience; must have a general interest in the care of animals.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment (computer, fax, copier, data entry)
- Must have strong work ethic and demonstrate initiative.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Commensurate with education, training and experience
Additional Position Information
This position require weekend and after work hours’ job responsibilities.
**The statements contained in this job announcement reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. **
APPLICATIONS will be accepted in the Office of Human Resources. Each applicant, including all current/existing employees, must complete and submit a Tuskegee University employment application, resume/CV, a list of (3) to (5) references (with detailed contact information) and copies of unofficial transcripts (official transcript(s) will be required upon hire). Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and submit a completed application packet in order to be considered for the position. The University reserves the right not to fill the position in the event of budgetary or operational constraints.
Human Resources Department
101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: [email protected] Fax: 334-724-4319
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of
employment. Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.