Laboratory Animal Technician
Posting Date: April 16, 2021 Posting End Date: June 16, 2021
Position: Lab Animal Technician Department: Lab Animal Medicine/Pathobiology
Status: Full-time: Non-Exempt
In keeping with the President’s commitment to Tuskegee University demonstrating “Excellence in Every Way”, the ideal Lab Animal Technician will possess the willingness to use his or her expertise to assist in the university’s efforts to be a sustainable academic organization committed to excellence.
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities
- Keep records of animals and CMRC inventory
- Receive research animals, take vital signs, assess health status (Vet Technician training, a plus)
- Keep records and inventory of animals received.
- Keep equipment and resources clean and available for researchers
- Daily observe the animals and have some knowledge of animal behavior
- Report illness of animals to ADAC or AV.
- Treat sick animals as directed by AV or ADAC.
- Feed and water to all animals on a daily basis.
- Assist in exercising animals, especially dogs as needed and/or required.
- Clean animal cages, feeders, water bottles, lixits, rubber stoppers, etc. as per Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Maintain all Equipment safe, and in good working conditions.
- Report malfunctioning equipment to ADAC or AV immediately after discovery.
- Assist research investigators and research assistants/graduate students in the proper handling of animals.
- Provide research investigators and research assistants or Graduate students needed resources as required.
- Assist in ensuring that all investigators and research assistants/graduate students to comply with proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and observe the animal welfare regulations; otherwise report such violation to the ADAC or AV immediately.
- Assist in the collection of blood, urine and feces from animals as directed.
- Receive purchased animals ordered from vendors
- Keep inventories of animals and availability of food and bedding supplies on hand.
- Transport animals and animal feed and beddings to designated laboratory.
- Clean hallways, coolers, animal rooms and storage rooms as per SOP.
- Assist ADAC and AV in the labeling and record keeping of laboratory supplies and equipment.
- OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays as assigned.
- Must maintain adequate record of all purchased animals as per SOP.
- Must be able to perform other responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- At least High School graduate or have GED or higher, plus completion of an approved program for laboratory animal care/technician or experience in working with animals.
- Must have an American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level or higher. (OR must become certified within one year of employment)
- Basic knowledge of the husbandry of rodents (mice, rat, hamster, guinea pigs), rabbits, dogs, goats, horses, birds, cattle or other laboratory animals.
- Ability to take care of immune-comprised research animals.
- Ability to treat animals as directed by Assistant Director of Animal Care (ADAC) or Attending Veterinarian (AV).
- Ability to collect biologic specimens from laboratory rodents, rabbits, dogs, cattle, horses, birds and other laboratory animals for necropsy diagnosis and clinical pathologic diagnosis.
- Ability to lift up to fifty pounds (50 lbs.)
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Have at least one, or preferably three or more years of working experience with progressively increasing responsibilities in a laboratory animal facility in an institution, industry or government.
- Be able to work in cooperation with all employees of Comparative Medicine Resource Center (CMRC) or other areas in the Veterinary School.
- Work in cooperation with all University Faculty and Staff, students or vendors that work directly with and/or in the CMRC facility.
Commensurate with education, training and experience
Human Resources Department
101 Kresge Center
Tuskegee, Alabama 36088
Email Address: [email protected] Fax: 334-724-4319
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer-Male/Female/Veteran/Disabled
Federal law requires identity and employment eligibility verifications on Form I-9 within three (3) business days of
employment. Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check.