Part-Time Career Success MOOC Subject Matter Expert (Online)
Part-Time Career Success MOOC Subject Matter Expert (Online) Application Window
Open date: April 15th, 2021
Last review date: Friday, Apr 30, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Thursday, Apr 14, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California Irvine’s Division of Continuing Education is currently looking for Subject Matter Experts to develop MOOCs in the Career Success Specialization on Coursera. We are seeking qualified Subject Matter Experts with current knowledge and direct industry experience in the following areas:
• Project Management
• Time Management
• Business Writing
• Problem-solving and decision-making
This is an online (remote working) part-time position. This position is on a course by course contracted basis. This is NOT a faculty position.
Program information and course descriptions can be found on Coursera’s website:
Commitment: Approx. 3-5 hours per week for 4-6 months on a contract basis.
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment.
We accept part-time applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, we refer to the “pool” of applications on file.
Individuals hired to develop these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Subject Matter Expert will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
Specific Subject Matter Expert Duties
• Develop instructional content for the course, to be offered on the Coursera platform, in consultation with the appropriate University academic program planner and the University DesignPlus team (a team of instructional designers and media developers), as follows:
• Update the course map, which includes (but is not limited to): module titles, topics, and learning objectives
• Create Instructor Authored Readings (IARs) for each module
• Create a minimum of one discussion question or activity
• Develop a summative assessment (i.e., peer review assignment or exam) for the
course along with a detailed grading rubric
• Collaborate with DesignPlus to provide creative direction and script review during media production
• Identify and update open-source readings for each module
• Create or update list of free online resources (and links) that students can access for more information on each module’s main informational points
• Update quiz questions including quiz feedback for both correct and incorrect answers for each module
• Update course description and module overviews
• Participate in meetings, as needed, to discuss the instructional development and design of the course.
• Participate in the Quality Assurance (QA) process by reviewing the course following completion of course design and page layout. The QA process includes providing feedback within one week to assist the University instructional designer(s) in identifying and correcting:
• Errors in course text that occurred during the course design and page layout
• Omissions of material submitted for course design or inclusion in course pages.
• Inadequate or missing attributions, including necessary copyright notices whenever material was obtained from a third party.
• Master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area.
• Extensive background and current work experience in the following topics:
- Project Management
- Time Management
- Business Writing
- Problem-solving and decision-making
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.Job locationIrvine, CA