Open Rank Research Faculty Assistant Professor – Professor
University of Colorado School of Medicine
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
Center for Health Artificial Intelligence
Open Rank Faculty (Research Track Assistant Professor – Professor)
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.Nature of WorkThe Center for Health Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics at the University of Colorado School of Medicine invite applications for open rank research faculty positions in the area of knowledge engineering. The new faculty member will join a highly interactive, supportive, and interdisciplinary group of faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and students and enjoy access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities on the Anschutz Medical Campus. The faculty member will play an important role in advancing the mission of the Translational and Integrative Sciences Laboratory, which is led by Dr. Melissa Haendel.Faculty in the Center for Health AI focus on computational approaches that derive insights from data to lead to advances in research and medical practice. The Center for Health AI is collocated on the Anschutz Medical Campus with the UC Health University of Colorado Hospital, Colorado Childrens, and Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center. The Anschutz Campus is home to Colorado’s only Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Colorado Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute. The campus includes a vibrant and entrepreneurial basic research community with multiple areas of excellence and translational impact. There are many opportunities on campus to translate data intensive research advances into improved care. The campus has made a significant investment in an enterprise health data warehouse collecting electronic health record data from 10 member hospitals and dozens of clinics available for research.This search covers areas including knowledge integration, bibliometrics, automated and manual biocuration, knowledge representation, semantic engineering, automated reasoning, and the development and evaluation of software systems that advance these practices. We expect our faculty to develop diverse portfolios of research support including grants, potential commercialization opportunities, and partnerships. Professional FieldBiomedical Informatics, Knowledge Representation, and Scientific SoftwareExamples of Work Performed
- Contribute to a research program of national and international importance.Educate, train, and mentor trainees within the Laboratory and more broadly within the department. Faculty appointed at the Associate Professor level and above may also mentor early-career faculty.Teaching as assigned by the department chair, in consultation with the director of the Laboratory, which will be based on the needs of appropriate education programs such as the Computational Biosciences Program.Participate in service activities within the department, the university, and the broader scientific community that contribute to the accomplishment of laboratory, department and university missions and that promote the success and welfare of the broader scientific community. A sample of participatory activities follow:Keeping abreast of current literature, formulating long-and short-term research goals, designing and performing appropriate experiments to achieve those goals, maintaining compliance with all institutional, state, and federal biomedical research guidelines, rules, and regulations, evaluating data and protocols, preparing and submitting manuscripts based on research conducted within the research program, and preparing and submitting grant applications to appropriate federal or private agencies to secure funding for the research program. Interacting effectively with other members of departmental faculty and the scientific community to establish fruitful research collaborations. Presenting research in all appropriate venues to increase the awareness of research being performed in the faculty member’s research program to facilitate collaborations and interactions and to increase the visibility of positive research impacts of science within socieity.
Minimum Qualifications Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.Assistant Professor Minimum Qualifications
- Education: This position requires the terminal degree appropriate to their field, or its equivalent, and should otherwise be well qualified to teach in the Medical School and its programs.
- Education: This position requires the terminal degree appropriate to their field, or its equivalent, and should otherwise be well qualified to teach in the Medical School and its programs.Faculty appointed to the rank of Associate Professor are subject to review and approval of the School of Medicine Faculty Promotions Committee and the Executive Committee and track record must be able to support rank at this level.
- Education: This position requires the terminal degree appropriate to their field, or its equivalent, and should otherwise be well qualified to teach in the Medical School and its programs.Faculty appointed to the rank of Professor are subject to review and approval of the School of Medicine Faculty Promotions Committee and the Executive Committee and track record must be able to support rank at this level.
- A track record of productivity in the practice of research as evidenced through the development and dissemination of software, data and knowledgebases, preprints, and/or publications.
- Communication skills to convey complex, technical topics clearly to multiple audiences.Ability to build and manage a diverse and inclusive research team comprising members with complementary skills and levels of experience.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 15, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing