Job no: 507892
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Controller's Office
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the direction of the Audit and Grant Compliance Manager, the Analyst develops and executes risk-based financial compliance reviews to provide objective assurance that the internal control processes are effective, efficient and safeguard university assets. The Analyst also designs and implements plans to evaluate financial compliance with federal, state, local, university and sponsor requirements. Using the results of the compliance reviews, the Analyst recommends and implements policy and procedure changes, ensures proper communication of policies on webpages and other media, and works closely with campus departments to improve compliance with internal controls
- Utilizing risk-based methodology, performs testing and evaluations to assess the reliability of internal controls. Designs procedures using appropriate risk-based methodology to select transactions for examination. Reviews transactions for compliance based on laws, regulations and guidelines from governmental agencies, external sponsors and the University.
- Documents and communicates results of assessments and findings with departments and senior management. Recommends corrective actions and procedure changes to improve internal controls.
- Performs testing and evaluations of sponsor-funded transactions for allowability of costs and compliance with specific contract requirements and applicable OMB regulations.
- Utilizes system reporting tools to create ad hoc queries of accounting data for transaction analysis. Maintains a central database of assessments including compiling investigations of other post audit activities to analyze for trends and patterns and to identify control weaknesses. Shares information and coordinates other Controller’s Office investigations to ensure proper coverage and to minimize duplication of efforts.
- Works closely with the Controller/Campus Audit Liaison in managing information provided to internal and external auditors by drafting management responses, action plans and follow-up to audit findings and reviews.
- Incorporates results of reviews to improve the effectiveness of the training materials and communicates policy to the campus community through the development of webpages.
- Maintains knowledge and experience with the finance system(s) to recommend improvements and efficiencies and to strengthen internal controls. Assists with the implementation of financial system upgrades for functionality, efficiency and cost benefits.
- Reviews journals via the workflow system to ensure compliance to University guidelines. Addresses financial compliance matters as they arise in daily operational activities and compliance with record retention requirements.
- Understands, is committed to and supports affirmative action and non-discrimination goals and customer- focused quality services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other related field and more than 5 years related experience.
- Must demonstrate experience in management of complex automated financial systems and controls.
- Experience in application of risk-based audit policies in highly regulated programs preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
Non-Unit Exempt Level: 27
Exempt Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include with your application, a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three profession references. The position will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 4 2021 Eastern Daylight Time