Internship Specialists for the Career Advancement Center
Internship Specialists for the Career Advancement Center
(Part and Full-Time Positions Available)
A highly selective liberal arts college located on Chicago’s North Shore, Lake Forest College enrolls approximately 1,600 students from over 40 states and 70 countries, and it is one of the most diverse small colleges in the Midwest, with nearly 40% of our student body comprised of domestic minority and international students. Lake Forest College has embraced career preparation as a key institutional goal for its undergraduate students more clearly and conscientiously than most other colleges in the liberal arts tradition, making a college-wide commitment to our mission to “prepare our students for, and help them attain, productive and rewarding careers.”
With our location in the Chicago metropolitan area, we are uniquely positioned to be a leader in career preparation and, for the third year in a row, have been recognized by the Princeton Review among its top 25 Best Schools for Internships. Lake Forest College has also been ranked #4 for Best Science Lab Facilities by Princeton Review as well as #2 in the nation for Social Mobility by U.S. News & World Report. Learn more about the Lake Forest College’s recognition as a top tier college.
Our internship opportunities are central to the 4-year career preparation plan for our students, and the College is currently seeking new team members to assist with the management of our academic internship program and help expand the breadth of internship opportunities for our students. Areas of particular focus include business, finance, and data science as well as science and health care. Lake Forest College embraces diversity and encourages applications from women, members of historically underrepresented groups, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. For more information about Lake Forest College, visit www.lakeforest.edu.
Responsibilities for these positions include the following:
- Manage, organize, and communicate information using technology systems including the career services management system (Handshake), course management systems (Moodle), Project management software (Smartsheet), alumni database (Slate), social media.
- Assess student/employer engagement data and monitor employment trends to identify and implement strategies for improving students’ preparation and expanding available internships for students.
- Ensure successful registration process and completion of appropriate student and employer application and agreement forms required for internship completion.
- Contribute to on-going internship program policy development/administration, evaluation, and promotion with the employer relations and operations team.
- Participate in relevant professional development activities.
Relationship Management and Employer Relations:
- Initiate new off-campus partnerships and manage relationships with existing employers able to provide students high-quality jobs, internships, research experiences, shadowing, and other relevant opportunities; develop and adhere to terms of affiliation agreements with key sites.
- Develop and expand pipelines with employers to help CAC provide more equitable access to experiential opportunities for students from historically underserved and underrepresented backgrounds.
- Cultivate relationships with Lake Forest College faculty to understand students’ academic experience on-campus and gain an understanding for on-going institutional partnerships in order to maintain the integrity of existing relationships and support new relationship development.
- Learn guidelines for identifying internships worthy of credit for relevant departments.
- Organize recruiting activities, including job postings, campus interviews and specialized networking events.
- Complete other duties as assigned or as opportunities emerge.
- Serve as an internship supervisor for students completing internships for our academic internship program; provide seminars or other educational experiences in collaboration with fellow internship supervisors to help students develop learning goals, understand professional expectations, and apply their academic training in the workplace.
- Evaluate assignments and submit final grades according to College requirements.
- Develop evaluation methods and referral procedures for internship site placements to maximize the success of each experience and provide students with personalized guidance; seek to organize student/site needs to ensure continuity for students and key sites.
- Maintain contact with internship site supervisors and Associate Director for Internships and resolve conflicts in collaboration with relevant faculty/staff/site personnel if they arise.
- Work with relevant Career Pathway leaders to identify and provide industry-related pre-internship training and professional development activities to improve students’ competitiveness for the best experiential learning opportunities.
- Assist students with developing plans to maximize their internship experience during and after the experience, such as: articulating their experience in their resumes, tips for publishing/presenting research, and identifying subsequent internship experiences to support their career plan.
Student Preparation and Career Advising:
- Guide and mentor students in the Business, Finance and Data Science Pathway or Science and Health Care Career Pathway completing internship experiences (non-credit and for-credit), and serve as a liaison to relevant academic departments including the following:
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Neuroscience, Physics, and Psychology, and our new Health Professions Program.
- Business, Finance, Economics, Data Science, Computer Science and Math
- Advise students and develop large-scale programs on resume development, interview preparation, and identification of and referrals to sites that match students’ interests.
- Successful completion of a relevant Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred.
- Must have an interest in working with students/alumni, employers, and faculty/staff from diverse backgrounds.
- Preferred experience/knowledge of college student development, career services, internship program development, employer relations or human resources.
- Preferred experience/knowledge of business, finance and data science or science and health care-related industries and their recruiting practices.
- Strong problem-solving skills and written/verbal communication. Must be attentive to details.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships. Experience tracking relationship-building success with a customer relationship management system is a plus.
- Must be team oriented with strong interpersonal skills and ability to think creatively; entrepreneurial spirit and fast-learner.
- Strong administrative skills to manage academic course requirements and associated internship documentation.
- Available to work some evenings and weekends; valid driver’s license and willingness to travel (primarily in Chicagoland area).
Full-time and part-time positions may be available. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please submit cover letter and resume/CV online through this link to the Career Advancement Center’s Submission Form. Materials should be addressed to:
Career Advancement Center Hiring Committee
Lake Forest College
555 North Sheridan Road
Lake Forest, IL 60045-2399
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. Please send any correspondence related to this search to Career Advancement Center Hiring Committee at [email protected].