Coordinator, Career Advising - Gies Business Career Services (144885)
COORDINATOR, CAREER ADVISING
Gies Business Career Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Provide career development services for students in the Gies College of Business through programming and one-on-one advising services. Assist Gies students with securing internships and full-time jobs, and/or other successful outcomes.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Student Advising Services for Career & Professional Development
- Advise assigned students on career planning in one-on-one and group settings
- Conduct resume critiques, practice interviews and general career development advising
- Train students on use of Handshake and Gies Groups via individual and group sessions as well as classroom settings
- Monitor student use of Handshake and maintain updated records of meetings with students on Handshake; monitor and enforce students’ compliance with the Handshake User Agreement
- Communicate career-related information to students, including open full-time and internship positions and opportunities for leadership, employer engagement, and career exploration
- Develop, update, maintain and distribute to students print and electronic information on industry and career paths
- Coach students to connect with alumni and other professionals currently employed in their target industry
- Support students in developing career goals for both US and home country job search
- Support international students through knowledge of the H1B Visa process, international employer recruiting activities, native language resume development, and international career management
- Use social media and virtual technologies in the communications and delivery of services to students
Student Affairs Collaboration
- Work collaboratively with student affairs professionals and faculty to develop, promote, manage, and evaluate career development programs and tools for domestic and international career searches
- Enhance communications to students and increase their participation in career exploration and professional development programs through partnerships with student affairs professionals, faculty and deans
- Collaborate with other University units and student organizations to develop, promote, deliver, and evaluate career skill development programming (e.g. housing, DIA, career services council, and student affairs)
- Support the collection of student outcomes data for Illini Success
Corporate Engagement Team Collaboration
- Attend on-and off-campus events to meet prospective employers
- Maintain contact with alumni to share career information with current students
- Assist with career fairs by providing support to student and employer participants
- Partner with corporate engagement to identify potential career opportunities domestically and globally
Perform other duties as assigned
POSITION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Required: Bachelor’s degree
Preferred: Master’s degree
Required: Minimum one year of relevant part-time or full-time professional work experience in career or academic counseling, recruiting, job placement or related work. Demonstrated success in event planning, promotion, and evaluation.
Preferred: Experience serving undergraduate and/or graduate students at an institution of higher learning. Familiarity with curricula associated with business degree programs. Experience in a business field or related industry.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Required: Knowledge of the employment market, job search strategies, along with advising and interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for customer satisfaction. Excellent written and oral communication skills, good teamwork skills and initiative. Preferred: Experience with information technology including use of social media in the delivery of service to students. Knowledge of business careers both in the United States, Asia, China, and across the globe. Ability to speak Mandarin and knowledge of Asian culture. Knowledge of the US H1B lottery process.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This is a full-time (100%), benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month basis. The position is available as soon as possible after the closing date.
For full consideration, all applicants must create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references by April 29, 2021. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, email [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Business Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Coordinator, Career Advising - Gies Business Career Services (144885) Open Date:04/15/2021 Organization Name:Gies Business Career Services