HISTOLOGY TECHNOLOGIST (M-F 9:00am-5:30pm) Raleigh Pathology Lab
The position is for a technologist to work in the surgical pathology frozen section laboratory. Primary responsibilities include accessioning and prioritizing of surgical pathology specimens, use of a cryostat to perform intraoperative frozen sections for rapid diagnosis and grossing of small biopsies and benign surgical pathology specimens. Routine microtomy and special staining are not performed in the surgical pathology laboratory. For this position, you must be qualified to perform high complexity testing and, if not certified, eligible for certification.
- Perform routine and special paraffin sections of surgical and autopsy tissue for microscopic examination in the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Prepare equipment and reagents for processing, embedding, microtome cutting and mounting of tissue; perform routine and special staining techniques.
- Label, file, discard and maintain records of tissue samples and containers, tissue processing cassettes, final paraffin blocks and slides.
- Label and record slides of specimens received; provide specimens for microscopic examination and diagnosis by the pathologist.
- Obtain and log specimens from the operating rooms and other areas as required.
- Perform frozen cytostat sectioning.
- Set up equipment, instruments, reagents and apparatus for specific laboratory techniques.
- Perform various Quality Control procedures to maintain compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Utilize various hospital information systems and software.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
BS/BA Science preferred. Registered or registry eligible as Histology Technician ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology).
Experience with BS/BA or AS/AA. No experience needed for NAACLS (National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences) Program.
Previous grossing experience is preferred but not mandatory.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Registered or registry eligible as Histology Technician ASCP.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Demonstrated competency in histological laboratory skills.
Ability to perform assigned tasks on routine and special material.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.