STAFF ASSISTANT - DUKE MASTER OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES PROGRAM (MBS)
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
1. SUMMARY OF PURPOSE:
Perform responsible administrative and secretarial duties of a complex and confidential nature in support of the Master of Biomedical Sciences Program (50%) and Multicultural Resource Center (50%) to relieve supervisors of varied clerical and administrative responsibilities and to maintain efficiency in organizational operations.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Master of Biomedical Sciences Program (MBS) Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Prepare letters of recommendation and committee letters for MBS students and alumni applying to health professions or other schools.
- Oversee gap year experiences and job placements for MBS students.
- Assist with management of MBS student assessments, course evaluations, program evaluation and maintain assessment data for record retention.
- Create, prepare, and distribute correspondence in support of the MBS program, such as MBS newsletter, emails, eblasts, etc. to faculty, students, applicants, and alumni.
- Manage interfaces with other academic and administrative units.
- Represent the MBS program as needed.
- Serve as backup for MBS Program Assistant when needed.
Multicultural Resource Center (MRC) Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Manage MRC Financial Accounting
- Provide organizational support for MRC-advised student organizations
- Manage financial accounts
- Organize leadership meetings
- Prepare award notifications for MRC travel & educational support grants
- Manage requirements for award recipients
- Manage pre -application visits to DUSOM (now virtual)
- Manage health professions advisors visit to DUSOM (now virtual)
- Manage SMDEP/SBSI databases
- Liaison to national, state, local health professions organizations
Work requires a broad knowledge of clerical and accounting principles and practices normally acquired through two years of post-secondary education in secretarial science or a related business field.
Work generally requires three years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer complex office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. OR and equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.