Upward Bound Program Advisor
Upward Bound Program Advisor
Job ID: 225479
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 41,000 students. With 11 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the second-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Coordinates and attends daily in-school meetings with students and/or parents and focuses on personal development, career exploration, academic skill building, and college preparation for students who are socially and economically underrepresented in higher education enter and complete postsecondary education through the Upward Bound/Math Science project. Provides individualized or group advisement. Monitors the progress of assigned caseload.
1. Assists with recruitment and selection of project participants by evaluating their needs, interests, abilities, achievements, and aptitudes
2. Recommends students for the Upward Bound/Math Science Program
3. Provides students with individualized and group advising and makes referrals to appropriate services as necessary
4. Tracks student contacts to monitor services required and provides follow-up throughout program participation
5. Monitors the progress of caseload students per the academic plan
6. Assists in development, planning, and implementation of the Summer Academy
7. Assists with program/activity coordination and attends programs/activities for all Upward Bound/Math Science students including college trips, cultural events, workshops, and
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in related field
One (1) year related work experience
Additional Preferred Qualifications
Master's degree and from an accredited institution of higher education in related field
Experience advising high school students on the college admissions and financial aid application process
Academic Coaching Certification preferred
Experience with academic/work support programs for disadvantaged individuals
Experience recruiting and retaining individuals
Professional or personal experience in overcoming barriers similar to those confronting Upward Bound students is required
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Strong case management skills
- Ability to motivate students
- Knowledge of college admissions and financial aid application processes
- Able to handle multiple tasks or projects at one time meeting assigned deadlines
- Proficient with computer applications and programs associated with the position (i.e. Microsoft Office Suite)
- Excellent interpersonal, initiative, teamwork, problem solving, independent judgment, organization, communication (verbal and written), time management, project management and presentation skills
- Strong customer service skills and phone and e-mail etiquette
- Strong attention to detail and follow up skills
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin race religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
This is a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
No, this position will not be required to drive.
This role is considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
This position does not require security clearance.
- Standard Enhanced + Education
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=225479&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency