Area Maintenance Supervisor
Area Maintenance SupervisorDepartment:
Housing Facilities - MaintenanceAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department:
University Housing’s mission is to provide comfortable, affordable and secure on-campus housing options in residential communities where the academic success and personal growth of residents are encouraged and supported. University Housing operates as a self-supporting auxiliary unit within the Division of Student Affairs. More than 8,000 students live on campus, where University Housing manages more than 2.8 million square feet of space in 22 residence halls, 20 apartment buildings, four Greek Park houses and 18 buildings on UGA’s nearby Health Sciences Campus. The department employs more than 700 staff members to conduct the operations of a comprehensive and integrated student housing organization.College/Unit/Department website:
TRS or ORPEmployment Type:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 4:30pm. After work hours a possibilityAdvertised Salary:
04/15/2021Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
06/01/2021Location of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Skilled Craft ManagerFLSA:
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications:
1. Two years experience developing and maintaining annual or project related budgets.
2. Experience with managing difficult conversations with subordinates, supervisors, administrators, vendors, and clients/customers.
3. Experience teaching/training others to perform tasks they are unfamiliar.
4. Three years of experience working in housing facilities or similar, e.g. hospital or hospitality.
The Area Maintenance Supervisor manages ongoing residence hall maintenance and repairs in a zone housing between 1,200 and 3,500 residents in multiple buildings. The position is expected to provide regular consultation and support to various residence life staff, other facilities staff, and administrative/management staffKnowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
1. Knowledge of the standard methods, equipment, materials, tools, and practices of the structural and skilled trades (such as maintenance).
2.Knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing maintenance used in facilities.
3.Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions of structural and skilled trades.
4.Knowledge of building codes associated with facilities.
5.Skills associated with the effective supervision of skilled workers.
6.Interpret construction and as-built documents.
7.Follow oral and written instructions.
8.Provide effective written and oral communication.
9.Make and project material and labor estimates.
10.Establish and maintain effective working relationships with university personnel at multiple levels.
11.Lift and maneuver 40 pounds, both assisted and unassisted.
12.Safely drive Georgia State vehicles.
1. Climb stairs and ladders, may occasionally work from a ladder.
2. Crawl to inspect various tasks.
3. Extended amounts of walking.
4. Safely lift and handle items weighing up to 50 pounds.
5. Perform work related duties indoors with steam and humidity, hot/cold in building during various seasons and outdoors in various weather conditions.
6. Safely operate UGA state vehicle as necessary.
YesIs this a Position of Trust?:
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
YesDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
- Plans and assigns duties to five to ten subordinates; checks periodically to assure the completion of established expectations and specifications.
- Ensures the accurate documentation of all maintenance activities in the Integrated Workplace Management Software (AiM).
- Prepares reports concerning types of repairs made, materials used, and cost of completed work assignments.
- Requisitions and manages services from Facilities Management Division and outside vendors to perform work as needed within facilities.
- Requisitions and maintains a reportable inventory of parts, tools, and supplies.
- Assist in the standardization process to streamline requisitioning/purchasing activities within the department.
- Assist in the preparation of annual operating and plant fund budgets, as well as maintaining established operating budgets.
- Assist in the long-term planning of facilities.
- Consults with various levels of Housing staff regarding maintenance activities. Ensure constituents are satisfied with resultant work.
- Responds to resident and other stakeholders concerns related to facility management issues.
- Participate in the Department’s quality efforts by taking part in meetings and activities as requested.
- Maintains records of facility health and safety information.
- Performs related work as assigned.