DescriptionSchool of Medicine, Department of Medicine – Division of General Internal MedicineBusiness Services Program Director (Division Administrator)Position #00705617 – Requisition #20885
University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers
*The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.The Department of Medicine – Division of General Internal Medicine has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Division Administrator position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here. Nature of Work
Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.Program Directors are responsible for the ongoing leadership and oversight of a program or function, including the development of strategies and processes which contribute to the University and/or campus mission and accountability for services provided. These positions typically do not supervise others.The Division Administrator coordinates policies and procedures and oversees the implementation of teaching, research and clinical programs within the Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine. Working under the direction and guidance of the Division Head, the Administrator has authority over the business affairs, funds and resources of the division. This position is responsible for aligning the division activities with the policies and procedures of the department, School of Medicine, and University of Colorado. The Administrator represents the division within the department and the School of Medicine, and the University of Colorado, providing essential communication, and networking for the effective functioning of these entitiesSupervision Received
This position reports directly to the Division Head and jointly to the Department of Medicine Director for Administration and Finance. The Division Administrator is a professional responsible for the overall financial management and administrative functions of the Division of General Internal Medicine. Supevision Provided
Provides direct supervision and is the hiring authority for the division administrative staff and advises and assists faculty in supervising the technical staff. Performs human resources functions, including supervision, hiring, training, evaluation, and termination under the overall direction of the faculty and the Division Head who are also hiring authorities for all division personnel.Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities of the Division of General Internal Medicine may include, but are not limited to, the following:Financial Management
- Fiscal responsibility and management of all funds of the Division of General Internal Medicine including state, federal, auxiliary, gift, endowment funds, grant and contract funds, and CU Medicine/clinical funds. Also manages the financial aspects of operations and staffing, faculty recruitment, and other short- and long-term planning functions.
- Oversees Division’s incentive plan including monitoring, tracking, calculating and reporting, and regular distribution of payments per CU Medicine and Division guidelines.
- Manages faculty practice plan and clinical revenues for the Division of General Internal Medicine.
- Prepares budgets, controls, and regularly monitors revenue and expenditure activity for each source of funds.
- Implements and oversees execution of financial policies and procedures related to all facets of the University and CU Medicine financial enterprise systems (PeopleSoft, Concur, CU Marketplace, etc.) including electronic and paper approval and submission (i.e., POs, SPOs, University Payment Vouchers, Travel Reconciliation, Employee Reimbursements, CU Medicine Travel and CU Medicine Accounts Payable, etc.).
- Prepares faculty salary data and sources of funds for annual salary recommendation process and responds to requests from the department for fiscal budgetary information.
- Monitors physician services billing and collection activity.
- Assists faculty with budget and routing paperwork and processing for grants submissions. Manages payroll, subcontract preparation and execution, and expenditures from grants and prepares reports for faculty upon request.
- Serves in an administrative and supervisory capacity for the Division’s Research Faculty to provide regulatory and financial oversight and assist with staff recruiting, work assignments, training, and supervision. Prepares financial reports and oversight of all clinical research for Division Head as needed.
- Administers policies, rules and regulations from federal, state, University, CU Medicine and other sources. Administers and coordinates regulations and standards related to business management, clinical, research and educational administration.
- Monitors educational and teaching programs to ensure compliance with institutional and national policy and procedure.
- Prepares reports for the division, department or other internal and external entities as requested to respond to ACGME surveys and reports, program reviews, audits, etc.
- Coordinates, plans and attends divisional planning and management meetings, including faculty and educational planning meetings.
- Coordinates, manages, and participates in the appointment, re-appointment, evaluation, promotion and tenure activities for faculty in the division. Assists Division Head with faculty recruitment and credentialing (UCH and CU Medicine), including processing appropriate visa paperwork with the International Students and Scholars Service staff.
- Coordinates personnel matters for the division, including position establishment, recruitment, affirmative action, hiring and supervision of staff, performance planning and appraisal, and termination processes.
- Facilitates and promotes staff development and training classes, and provides orientation to faculty and staff as needed.
- Processes a variety of personnel forms in multiple personnel systems and conducts required processes in PeopleSoft, CU Medicine or UCH systems. Maintains appropriate personnel records (e.g., administrative, vacation, sick leave). Monitors performance evaluation activities for all support staff to include implementation and maintenance of the appropriate performance planning/appraisal program.
- Manages divisional purchasing activities, including delegation of purchasing responsibilities and adherence to purchasing policy, acquisition of capital equipment items and major capital building/renovation, and negotiation of leases.
- Oversees Division facilities, both on and off campus, to ensure efficiency of operations. Participates in construction and/or remodeling activities and space and equipment inventory to assist in the long range planning of facilities.
- Participates in planning activities for the division, including long- and short-range planning. Works with the Division Head and other faculty members as needed or requested to analyze and report existing and/or new programs and ventures to interested parties.
Required: Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.Preferred Qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, health care management or closely related field
- Five (5) years of professional experience in financial administration/management
- A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting/business/health care management, or finance.
- Five years of responsible financial, administrative, and supervisory experience in a university or healthcare setting.
- Prior experience with the University’s PeopleSoft finance and human resources management system.
- Prior experience in managing clinical and/or grant revenue.
Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.Outstanding customer service skills.Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.Knowledge, Skills and Ability Requirements
- Strong financial management skills to include comprehensive understanding of academic medical institution financial structure and operational standards.
- Demonstrated ability to manage funds effectively, from a variety of sources and with the use of a variety of financial management software applications.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and present analytical assessments and reports, and to communicate professionally and effectively.
- Demonstrated excellence in establishing work priorities and providing follow through, and meeting established deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully plan, organize, implement and coordinate financial and administrative activities in a diverse and complicated system.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and supervise staff and assign or reorganize tasks to meet the Division’s overall strategic goals.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.Salary and Benefits:
The hiring range
for this position has been established at $65,067 to $107,000. The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.The above salary range (or hiring range
) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected]
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Job Category:
Business ServicesPrimary Location:
Apr 13, 2021Unposting Date:
Share this job with your network:
Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University