Assistant Professor of Higher Education
Mary Baldwin University, a private institution in Staunton, Virginia, with a 177-year history of quality educational programs. The Higher Education program is situated within the College of Education at MBU. The program is an online graduate program. The higher education program is seeking a 10-month, full-time, renewable, non-tenure-track, faculty position at the rank of assistant professor working with a very diverse undergraduate/graduate student body. The candidate must have a substantive knowledge base in their area (s) of expertise, excellent communication skills, enthusiasm and a commitment to lifelong learning. In addition, candidates must be able to deliver instruction using synchronous and asynchronous pedagogical approaches.
● Experience teaching at the graduate level and employing best practices for graduate online learning
● Teaching a faculty load that is inclusive of 6 courses over fall, spring and summer (graduate/undergraduate).
● Administrative responsibilities to support recruitment, program development, and student retention higher education program
● Participate on University and College of Education Committees
● Advise and engage in mentoring of students
● Advise higher education students and serve as thesis project chair
● Scholarship and participation in university, community, and professional service
● Preferred candidates will possess a doctorate (Ed.D. or Ph.D.) in the field of higher education, educational leadership in higher education, higher education administration, or other appropriate discipline.(ABD will be considered)
● Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills.
● Commitment to inclusive learner-centered education, innovative digital educational models, and readiness to participate in inter-professional education opportunities with the Mary Baldwin University Faculty and Students
● Demonstrated evidence of engagement in teaching, research, and service that contributes to building and sustaining equitable, diverse, and inclusive communities.
● Ability to exercise leadership in planning, developing, implementing, evaluating, and
● customizing educational experiences.
Overview of the College
Emphasis on Diversity: Mary Baldwin University is an intentionally diverse educational community, with a vibrant population of over 1900 undergraduate and graduate students in its residential and online programs. More than fifty percent of MBU’s residential undergraduates are students of color and the University aspires to develop a faculty, staff, and curriculum that reflect its demographic. The University places a high priority on the cultivation of a community in which all students are both seen and heard. We seek and encourage applications from members of groups underrepresented in higher education and with academic experience with diverse student bodies. Above all, Mary Baldwin seeks candidates eager to embrace and empower an ethic of equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
Mary Baldwin University: Founded in 1842, Mary Baldwin University is a small, coeducational university offering a range of degree programs from bachelor to doctoral. It serves a growing student population on its main campus in Staunton, Virginia; at its nearby health sciences campus in Augusta County; and online. Two hours from the nation’s capital, located on the western edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the picturesque and historic Shenandoah Valley, the university’s main campus is on 58 hilltop acres and opens onto downtown Staunton, regularly named one of the best small towns in America.
The university welcomed its largest ever incoming class in Fall 2018, and it is a pivotal and exciting time in the institution’s distinguished 177-year history. A radical belief in student potential and in the transformative power of the liberal arts and sciences has guided Mary Baldwin University since its founding. Emphasizing global leadership and citizenship, MBU is noted for high academic standards, strong leadership development programs, a diverse student body, and innovative programs including the Virginia Women’s Institute for Leadership.
Mary Baldwin University does not discriminate on the basis of sex (except that only women are admitted to Mary Baldwin College for Women), nor does the University discriminate on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, color, age, disability, religion, veteran’s status, or sexual orientation in its educational programs, admissions, co-curricular or other activities, or employment practices. Inquiries may be directed to Director of Human Resources, SAC 311, 540-887-7367, Mary Baldwin University, Staunton, Virginia 24401.
To apply, send the following information for HIED MBU search to [email protected] Mary Baldwin University.
- Letter of application addressing qualifications, teaching philosophy, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion across the university;
● Curriculum Vitae;
● Names and contact information for three references (include email addresses and current phone numbers);
● Unofficial transcripts (if offered, official transcripts will be required)
The projected start date is Fall 2021. Review of applications will be ongoing and continue until the position is filled.
Apply for Assistant Professor of Higher Education
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly