Job Title: Accountant II
Location: UNG-Dahlonega, GA
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 226016
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of nearly 20,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.Job Summary
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for an Accountant II within the Comptroller's Office on the Dahlonega campus. Job duties include processing journal entries, managing budgetary reports which are sent to departments within the university, performing month-end close out processes, and assisting with general ledger reconciliation, audit compliance and various reporting requirements using the PeopleSoft Financials program. This position does a great deal of research in accounting, which requires a thorough understanding of the comprehensive financial statements, state budgetary accounting rules, and how those rules are applied within the accounting framework. It also requires a familiarity with and ability to research the USG Business Procedures Manual and other applicable policies and procedures. This individual is responsible for accounting for Dual Appointments, which requires an understanding of how UNG's financial statements are incorporated into the Georgia Consolidated Annual Financial Report (CAFR) for proper accounting treatment, in coordination with other schools.
Occasional late evenings and/or Saturday work required at peak times & during summer hours. Heavier workload in summer months, especially July and August.
- Audits, makes recommendations, approves and processes journal entries with accompanying supporting documentation received for proper accounting treatment and to ensure documentation meets audit standards on an ongoing basis.
- Auditing and reconciliation of General Ledger accounts on a routine basis and in preparation for year-end documents for auditors. Assigned monthly accounting processes. Accounting for and reconciling Dual Appointments, as well as investments, and other accounts on an ongoing basis.
- Administers Chart of Accounts, Comptroller's SharePoint site, on-line forms and other IT-related functionality for Comptroller's Office.
- Serves as records retention coordinator, ensures compliance with University System of GA records retention schedules. Oversees proper destruction and/or transfer of documents, some of which contain sensitive data; analyzes record keeping problems and offers solutions/guidance.
- Secondary Administrator for Travel & Expenses (T&E) Module. Researches and resolves any questions or issues with T&E Module and related functionality. Updates travel policies and procedures to ensure compliance with Board of Regents and State Accounting Office.
- Sets up PeopleSoft reports for other users on campus. Monthly financial reports as assigned.
- Responsible for Inventory and supply ordering for Comptroller's Office.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting principles and understanding of the comprehensive financial statements.
- Attention to detail is critical.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent team working skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize workload, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to make suggestions for new policies and procedures or recommend changes to improve efficiency and accuracy.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two years of experience in accounting procedures required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Software.
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Excel required (including pivot tables).
- Degree in Business, Accounting or Finance discipline preferred.
- Relational database familiarity preferred.
- Strong PeopleSoft skills are preferred.
- Cover letter
5/7/2021Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with the University of North Georgia, as determined by University of North Georgia in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.Special Applicant Instructions
- Please submit contact information for three professional references.