Job no: 492494
Work type: Full-time
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: Accounting & Finance, School of Business
Posting DetailsJob Summary/Basic Function
At Maryville University, we power dreams-not just degrees. Our vision is to be the innovative leader in higher education promoting a revolution in student learning that expands access and opportunities for all.
Maryville University is searching for an energetic and forward-thinking Finance faculty member to join the John E. Simon School of Business where we are serious about our mission to develop technologically-savvy future business leaders. We seek educators who think innovatively, build competence in technology, and use engaging pedagogy to help our students deepen their learning and broaden their perspectives.
The ideal candidate will have the ability and willingness to teach Finance courses within the Business Core, advanced courses within the Financial Services program and the MBA program. Instruction will be in both online and traditional face-to-face settings, for undergraduate and graduate students, based on program needs.
For candidates who possess relevant backgrounds and interests, there is also an opportunity to serve as an Assistant Dean in the John E. Simon School of Business.
All candidates must be committed to fostering a positive, culturally diverse atmosphere for faculty, staff and students.
Responsibilities of all faculty members:
• Teach assigned courses as specified in the schedule and course contract, employing a variety of pedagogical styles in order to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world application of concepts covered.
• Develop innovative pedagogical strategies, including the use of technology, to deliver course content in a meaningful and engaging manner.
• Foster a teaching-learning environment that values and supports the diversity of students’ ideas, opinions, and backgrounds and prepares them for success in a culturally diverse work force.
• Ensure that program-wide and course-specific learning outcomes are assessed for continuous improvement.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner.
• Maintain regular contact (via phone, email, virtual/in-person office hours) with students to provide additional assistance with questions/concerns.
• Work closely with advisees and Life Coaches to facilitate students’ academic and personal success, and career readiness.
• Work collaboratively with colleagues to assist with the growth of existing business programs and offer market-relevant new program ideas.
• Foster mutually beneficial relationships with business professionals to facilitate currency of curriculum and to build internship and career opportunities.
• Propose and work toward a productive research/scholarship agenda consonant with the demands of a teaching-focused institution.
• Support the mission of the Simon School of Business and Maryville University through school, campus, and professional service.
• Additional responsibilities for the Assistant Dean role:
• Serve on the leadership team of the Simon School of Business with particular oversight for programs in Accounting, Finance, and Economics.
• Review, assess, and offer suggestions for improvement of curriculum in assigned programs to facilitate school and university strategic priorities; work with faculty to make changes as needed.
• Collect and analyze data, and provide written narrative for accreditation reports (e.g., Higher Learning Commission, ACBSP) as needed.
• Work with the dean to set strategic direction for assigned programs, and to support and review full-time faculty in those programs.
• Participate actively in the hiring and review of adjunct faculty in assigned programs.
• Develop and nurture collegial relationships with partners in the School of Adult and Online Education (learning designers, admissions team, advisers, and adjunct faculty support team).
• Oversee course scheduling and faculty staffing in assigned programs.
• Ensure that program-wide and course-specific learning outcomes are assessed for continuous improvement.Minimum Qualifications
• Graduate degree in Finance, Financial Planning, or closely related field Preferred Qualifications
• 10+ years relevant industry experience
• CFP®, CFA, or other certifications relevant to the Finance and Financial Services industries
• Willingness and ability to learn new academic technology and engaged pedagogy to facilitate student learning
• Earned doctorate in Finance, Financial Planning, or closely related field (ABD considered)Physical Demands
• College/University level teaching experience
• Experience in online teaching and online course development
Open Until Filled
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.
Advertised: April 13, 2021
Applications close: Open until filled