Job Title: Site Coordinator/Tutor
Location: Savannah State Recruiting Loc
Job ID: 226030
Savannah State University established in 1890, is the oldest public historically black college or university in Georgia and the oldest institution of higher learning in the city of Savannah. The university’s students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment.
TRIO Upward Bound Program, Funded by Department of EducationUpward Bound serves high school students from low-income families, as well as and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants’ complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.Job Summary TRIO Upward Bound Site Coordinator/Tutor will provide academic tutors and monitors program participants in an afterschool setting at local high schools. Provides students with one-on-one and/or group tutoring to enhance and/or correct weak skills related to particular subject or course areas. The Upward Bound Site Coordinator/Tutor works closely with program staff to support the academic development of student participants in grades 9th-12th and fosters a culture of college enrollment and completion. During the academic year, tutors provide direct supervision, leadership and direct academic assistance through virtual and Savannah-Chatham target schools (when accessible) mediums for participants during Upward Bound’s after-school tutoring program and other related activities/events. Responsibilities
- Provide academic tutorial assistance to program participants
- Assist students with homework, projects, test preparation, papers, research and other academic tasks.
- Working with students to help them understand key concepts, especially those learned in the classroom.
- Provides engaging, ongoing opportunities for Upward Bound student participants to experience success through academic activities.
- Builds strong, positive relationships with Upward Bound participants.
- Provides time and group management while offering homework and tutoring assistance.
- Models professional behavior with student participants, parents, and staff.
- Handles disruptive behavior with respect, following guidelines, processes and procedures, and reports any issues to Upward Bound Supervisor, and/or TRIO Director.
This position requires a minimum of an associate’s degree or completion of sophomore year in college making satisfactory academic progress. Must exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Candidates should have a 3.0 or higher GPA
- Must have the ability to relate to minority and disadvantaged high school students.
- Candidate must be available to attend training and orientation and must observe and enforce all of the program policies, rules and regulations.
- Must be a self-starter and possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and work independently as a leader and as part of a team.