Director of Information Technology
About the Organization:
BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH ALLIANCE OF NEW YORK LLC ('BRANY')
HRP Consulting Group, Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI
The Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI Program), a division of BRANY, was established in 2000 and joined BRANY in May 2016. CITI Program is a leading provider of research education content. Its web-based training materials serve millions of learners at academic institutions, government agencies, and commercial organizations in the U.S. and around the world. CITI Program's mission is to provide educational content that promotes the quality of, and public trust, in the research enterprise.
Founded in 1998 and owned by four leading academic medical centers - NYU School of Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Icahn School of Medicine, and Northwell Health, BRANY is the premiere resource for research support services for hospitals, academic medical centers and investigators. BRANY's services, which are designed to improve research efficiency and quality, include an array of outsourced clinical trial start up services such as IRB review, contracting and Medicare coverage analysis. BRANY IRB was the first IRB in New York to be accredited by AAHRPP. BRANY is also the developer of Protocol Builder®, an award-winning protocol writing tool for investigator-initiated research.
Expected Start Date:
July 1, 2021
This minimally supervised role reports to the SVP/Managing Director and provides leadership and day-to-day oversight for CITI Programs Systems and Technology department. Annual budget responsibility of ~$1 - 2 million across capital, personnel and infrastructure costs. Responsible for all aspects of technology including infrastructure, application development, packaged software maintenance, continuous improvement, security, privacy, copyright and accessibility. Build and maintain long-term strategic relationships with key external stakeholders/partners. Work with other department staff (e.g., Content and Sales/Marketing) to actualize all plans. Set and meet annual budgets and plans. Evaluate Systems departments effectiveness on an ongoing basis.
- Evaluate new technologies for competitive advantage.
- Manage internal five-member team, plus oversee offshore outsourced development team, and onshore outsourced infrastructure team, additional vendors and consultants.
- Lead team of internal staff and consultants to maintain and upgrade all aspects of technology, including infrastructure and application development, at the CITI Program.
- Responsible for 3-5 year strategic and operational plans, development and oversight of annual budget for the Systems/IT department.
- Develop and maintain performance standards, security best practices and monitoring.
- Develop annual goals and objectives for the department, Implement and monitor new projects.
- Manage and coordinate all operations and services of the Systems department.
- Manage and coordinate staff-related functions which include training, and evaluation, in coordination with the Operations and Support department.
- Supervise development and updates all departmental Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Negotiate and monitor contracts with software, hardware, services providers and outside vendors as needed.
- Develop metrics to measure effectiveness of technology aspects of program.
- Negotiate contracts with vendors; monitor expenses and performance
- Manage ADA compliance for all websites. Conduct periodic general and routine security audits with external service providers and manage remediation of issues.
- Update and maintain technical aspects of accessibility, privacy and security statements in conjunction with legal team to ensure highest standards.
- Respond to institutional customer requests for information on security, privacy and accessibility requests, as part of customer RFP, subscription or renewal process.
- Oversee public website, shopping cart and related applications.
- Ensure security, change management, and best areas of best practices are followed by team.
- Ensure technical aspects of Learning Management System (LMS) and technical features of products are accurately described and promoted on all Sales and Marketing literature.
- Evaluate and recommend pricing for all technology based add-ons, such as single-sign-on and other data integration offerings.
- Assist with development and maintenance of technical documentation for the online Knowledge Base and other venues.
- Help craft customer communications involving systems related changes; determine improvements to enhance learners and administrators satisfaction with LMS.
- Acquire expert level understanding of CITI Program LMS navigation and functionality, and the overall UX for learners and administrators.
Expectations for all employees:
- To support the BRANY mission of providing exceptional administrative and educational services to enhance the quality and efficiency of clinical trials within the global research community.
- Use time management skills to complete assignments, meet deadlines, and keep Management informed of progress. Promptly notify management of deficiencies. Additional hours may be mandatory to meet deadlines.
- Uses communication skills to establish and maintain good working relationships.
- Uses writing skills to effectively communicate via email and written correspondence.
- Works independently, takes initiative, and troubleshoots daily routine problems as they occur.
- Develops or recommends a plan of corrective action for non-routine issues.
- Works as a team member on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects. (*)
- Participate on sub-committee(s) as needed. (*)
- Arrive to work punctually and have good attendance.
- Present him/herself in a professional manner.
- Treat fellow coworkers with respect and consideration.
- Attend all required staff, and department meetings. (*)
- Assist with making accommodations for disabled individuals in order to ensure access to the BRANY organization and services.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. (*)
Non-Essential Functions will be noted by asterisk (*). Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EEO and Accommodations:
BRANY is committed to having a diverse population and a policy of equal opportunity for all employees, and applicants for employment, without regard to race, color, creed/religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity characteristics, genetic predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, marital status, national origin, age, disability, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, or citizenship status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. BRANY also recognizes same sex marriages and the employment rights of those in the LGBT community.
- Bachelor’s in Information Technology, or related field
- Master’s degree preferred
- And/or extensive work experience in managing technology infrastructure, application development and packaged software implementation.
Experience and Skills Required:
- Ten plus years of successful work experience developing and administrating a technology unit with a team of internal and consulting teams, onshore and offshore.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications will be considered.
- Must have successful prior relevant work experience managing a broad technology organization.
- Sound working knowledge of application development and infrastructure management.
- Familiarity with on-line education systems and in online course methodology.
- Knowledge of customer service/support function.
- Understanding of sales and marketing function, including CRM, help desk, phone system, transactional and marketing email software.
- Understanding of Finance and accounting software, online payment and commerce systems, and integration.
- Familiarity with project and product management principles, including agile methodology.
- Self-starter, self-motivated, creative problem-solver with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Disciplined, detail oriented, highly organized and dependable.
- Used to performing under deadlines and pressure.
- Comfortable balancing priorities to achieve results.
- Experience conducting and successfully completing cross-unit/multi-stakeholders projects without supervisory authority.
- Ability to work with all levels of management and participate effectively on a team.
- Good people and team manager.
- Enthusiastic, results-driven individual with the ability to track and measure goals and objectives to determine performance.
- Strong analytical skills, the ability to multitask and work under pressure.
- Solid computer skills (e.g., Microsoft SharePoint, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, Zoom, Salesforce)
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills.
- Comfortable working remotely.
- Experience using Zoom and other web-based video conferencing tools.
Fort Lauderdale, FL preferred, or remote U.S. (If located outside South FL, may be expected to make periodic visits to Ft. Lauderdale for in person meetings).
Physical Demands and Environment:
This position operates in both an office environment using standard office equipment & technology and also requires occasional field work attending trade show, conferences, and meeting potential partners or customers at their institutions. The position requires the individual to see, talk, hear and be mobile. The employee is frequently required to use hands, fingers, and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires occasional overnight travel to industry conferences and events, mostly within the US. Likely less than 10% travel.