Director, Gift Administration
Present Position Number:
FP233WRole Code Title:
Director, Gift AdministrationPosition Summary:
The Director of Gift Administration is the leader of the Gift Administration team in the Office of Advancement at William & Mary and has responsibilities to support both the university and the William & Mary Foundation. The Director of Gift Administration reports to the Executive Director of Prospect Development & Gift Administration and serves as a senior member of the Strategic Operations & Annual Giving department.
In their role supporting the university, the Director of Gift Administration is responsible for the overall vision, strategy, management, and operations of gift administration and gift processing functions for the university. The Director ensures accurate and timely recording and distribution of gifts and pledges in a busy department, which processes gifts that total more than $100M annually on average. The Director is both responsible for ensuring a high level of quality control and for promoting and leading superior customer service within the department to support this goal. The Director focuses on the strategic management and oversight of the team’s relationships and processes with advancement and campus partners, including gift compliance, the Recording Secretary, lead compliance officers; campus partners include the university finance office. The Director establishes and leads execution of all departmental policies and procedures, industry best practices, and regulatory and audit requirements including those outlined by CASE, NACUBO, FASB, GASB, and the IRS.
In their role supporting the William & Mary Foundation, the Director of Gift Administration is responsible for the overall vision, strategy, management, and operations of gift administration and processing function for the WMF and William & Mary’s related foundations to ensure accurate and timely recording and distribution of gifts and pledges. The Director is responsible for ensuring a high level of quality control and promoting and leading superior customer service within the department to support this goal. The Director focuses on the strategic management and oversight of the team’s relationships and processes with the CFOs of the university’s multiple foundations and others.
University Advancement encompasses the leadership and strategy of private philanthropy among alumni, parents, and friends of the university to benefit William & Mary for all time coming. We strengthen William & Mary by integrating alumni engagement, annual giving, development, marketing, communications, stewardship, and events teams. Our departments comprise more than 150 professionals who work together to build a culture of engagement and philanthropy across the William & Mary community and beyond.
• Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and or experience.
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness, including, but not limited to, collaboration, staffing and programming.
• The desire to meet expectations of efficiencies, timeliness and accuracy.
• Experience in a complex public institution or organization with large and complex related foundation or foundations, or experience with institutions, associations and/or programs equivalent to medical, health sciences and other complex professional schools’ relationships (typically 5 years).
• A thorough knowledge base and understanding of charitable revenue handling in a large organization, as well as fiscal control policies and procedures, accepted IRS, CASE, and AAASP standards and procedures, and fundraising database processes and procedures; expertise in posting complex gifts, managing modifications and related audits, processes for acceptance of securities, gifts-in-kind, credit cards and EFT, and all related reconciliations.
• Demonstrated strong project management and planning skills and experience with the ability to coordinate multiple assignments with competing deadlines and manage a team that works in concert to produce high-quality programs (typically 4+ years).
• Experience with relational databases such as Blackbaud CRM, or Salesforce, etc.
• Excellent planning skills with the ability to identify, clarify and articulate a project’s purpose, goals and outcomes. Ability to align unit goals to greater organizational goals and leverage institutional knowledge to advance programs, services and offerings.
• The ability to move comfortably among many converging and separate stakeholder interest and needs, as well as proficiency in delivering information clearly and translating analyses verbally and in writing.
• Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s degree in a related field.
• Experience and expertise in the work and business of gift administration and compliance (typically 3-5 years).
• Relevant and progressively responsible experience in a sophisticated fundraising environment within a higher education environment (typically 3-5 years).
• Experience in a supervisory or leadership position (typically 3-5 years).
Commensurate with ExperienceDepartment:
610000 VP University Advancement OfficeLocation:
William & MaryUniversity Salary Range:
U13Job Open Date:
04/13/2021Review Begin Date:
06/04/2021Open Until Filled:
Full Time ProfessionalPosition Term:
12-MonthConditions of Employment::
This position requires additional hours beyond the typical work week to include evenings, weekends and during holiday break in order to meet the needs of the business. as necessary.EEO Statement:
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Benefits Summary Statement:
William & Mary offers our employees a full array of benefits including retirement, health insurance with options for expanded dental and vision along with group and optional life insurance with coverage for spouse and children, flexible spending accounts, and an EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
Our employees enjoy additional university benefits such as educational assistance, professional development, wellness benefits, and a robust holiday schedule. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more. To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php