Nutrition Education and Training Specialist
Nutrition Education and Training SpecialistDepartment:
FACS Community Food & Nutrition EdAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.Posting Type:
TRS or ORPEmployment Type:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. Variation includes travel to counties for program visits, trainings, and reviews. Travel to state and regional meetings as required by the grants may be required.Advertised Salary:
Commensurate with ExperiencePosting Date:
04/13/2021Open until filled:
YesProposed Starting Date:
06/01/2021Location of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Public Service Professional ADFLSA:
Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Position Summary:
This position will be a full-time EFNEP State Staff and will oversee curricula implementation, ongoing training and county program support, and social media/technology development and support for the UGA EFNEP program across the state of Georgia. This position involves nutrition education expertise, the RDN (Registered Dietitian Nutritionist) credential, and excellent written and verbal communication skills. The Nutrition Education and Training Specialist will work directly with the UGA EFNEP State Coordinator and Assistant Coordinator, and will supervise nutrition students and dietetic interns in the capacity of EFNEP nutrition education programming. This position will also work collaboratively with SNAP-Ed State staff/nutrition education team in curricula alignment for adult nutrition education programming, and in ongoing trainings throughout the year. This position will report directly to the EFNEP State Coordinator. Monday through Friday, 8 am – 5 pm.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to take initiative, work independently and as part of a team, and complete reports and task within a timely manner. Proficiency with using database software such as Microsoft Excel or Access.Physical Demands:
Includes travel to counties for program visits, trainings, and reviews. Travel to state and regional meetings as needed by the grants may be involved.Is driving a responsibility of this position?:
YesIs this a Position of Trust?:
NoDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
NoCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
• Develop and implement in-depth training on identified curricula for adult and youth audiences.
• Revise EFNEP adult and youth curricula on a continuous basis to keep up to date with evidenced based nutrition information and recommendations that meet the needs of the EFNEP target audience.
o Work with SNAP-Ed nutrition education team to align adult curricula.
o Participate in/lead EFNEP Youth Curriculum committee meetings.
o Ensure that curricula addresses and aligns with NIFA/EFNEP adult and youth surveys/questionnaires to help promote nutrition and health behavior changes.
o Evaluate effectiveness of curricula and implement updates as needed.
• Identify areas that need additional training support.
• Implement and manage training in the following areas: educational approaches; nutrition, food safety, food resource management, food security, and physical activity; recruitment techniques.
• Provide technical support and assistance to EFNEP Supervisors in creating on-going training opportunities for Program Assistants using Program Assistant core competencies as a guide.
• Oversee and coordinate with UGA SNAP-Ed and EFNEP Supervisors, Program Assistant Orientation/Onboarding and ongoing trainings, including ServSafe training.
• Work collaboratively with the SNAP-Ed nutrition education team in developing and providing training support to counties/districts.
• Assist with EFNEP Supervisor observations.
• Develop and implement a social media communications strategy to support EFNEP efforts.
• Integrate best practices to ensure effectiveness and relevancy to the target audience.
• Implement, manage and evaluate all social media outlets.
• Assist EFNEP State Coordinator and Assistant Coordinator with developing and implementing low and medium level technology in support of UGA programmatic planning goals.
o Develop and revise virtual programming materials to include nutrition content, handouts, resources.
o Revise and update virtual programming curricula.
• Work with the EFNEP Assistant Coordinator to development and implementation EFNEP videos to include food demonstrations, training videos, and nutrition education videos for county EFNEP staff and for EFNEP participants.
• EFNEP program evaluation.
o Identify areas of evaluation.
o Work with EFNEP Supervisors on projects related to program evaluation.
• Other duties for special projects as assigned.