Executive Director, University-Community Links (0379U) 16347
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
University-Community Links (UC Links) is a statewide initiative connecting UC faculty and students with P-12 students and their families in after-school programs across the State of California. Established in response to ongoing educational inequities, UC Links' mission is to prepare underserved P-12 students academically and socially for success in high school and college, and to improve undergraduate education by linking theory and practice, academic content with real-world experience in diverse community settings near UC campuses.
To fulfill this dual mission, UC Links faculty in various disciplines provide academic coursework that places undergraduate and graduate students in practicum fieldwork experiences at local after-school programs in diverse underserved communities. There, they interact with children in innovative learning activities, designed to engage their minds and connect them to each other, their communities, and the world around them. UC Links activities promote multiple 21st century literacies, social engagement and critical thinking, as well as collaborative behavior and college-going identities. The UC Links statewide office is housed in the Graduate School of Education at UC Berkeley. Position Overview
The Executive Director serves as the leader and senior manager of a multi-campus academic and research program that has critical impact upon both the UCB campus and the ten-campus UC system, in regard to faculty research, teaching, and public service across disciplines. Reports to the Dean of the Graduate School of Education. Has significant responsibility for formulating and administering policies and programs. Identifies objectives, directs critical programs, and ensures program accountability with major constituencies across campus, at other UC campuses, other educational institutions, and external public and private agencies; manages human, financial and technical resources; and functions with an extremely high degree of autonomy. Oversees, through subordinate managers and staff, the accountability and stewardship of university resources (operational, financial, and human), consistent with campus and system-wide compliance goals and objectives. Oversees development of systems and procedures to protect organizational assets.
- Oversees and manages a significant, independent academic or research program. Formulates program strategies and goals. Plans, directs and controls program budget and other related resources.
- Monitors strategic direction of program, impacting all participating research groups with respect to funding new areas of research and ongoing oversight of projects to ensure achievement of mission. Directs long-term planning and develops policies and procedures.
- Identifies and cultivates new university, community, school, and other inter-institutional partnerships and funding sources.
- Oversees ongoing collaboration between the UC Links statewide office and campus programs to deliver specific resources, products, and outcomes to local partners.
- Represents the organization in working with funding agencies, developing financial resources and programs.
- Collaborates with faculty members on developing local site and research programs and agenda and oversees implementation.
- Provides guidance and technical support to faculty regarding funding, new program development and other resource acquisitions.
- Develops and implements a publication and dissemination program of substantial scope and complexity. Organizes conference symposia and presents research at seminars and conferences.
- Makes decisions on key issues (operational and budget processes, staff FTE, finance, human resources and space planning) that have multi-campus, program-wide impact. Advises faculty on matters concerning several functional areas, department and/or constituencies.
- Develops, implements and adheres to policies regarding intellectual property in addition to negotiating and managing IP agreements and contracts of highly significant impact.
- Recognized expertise in multiple disciplines of research. Demonstrated cutting-edge research capabilities.
- Expert oral and written communication skills with a broad community of other researchers and scientists, community and school partners, program managers, funding agencies, media, and center managers. Advanced expertise in advocating for and representing the institution to its various publics.
- Advanced management experience in academic and/or government agencies. Expert strategic planning, analytical, negotiation and political acumen skills. Expert knowledge in managing collaborations between academia, industrial and/or governmental agencies.
- Demonstrated expertise with program building within a leading academic institution and administrative, budgetary, human resources and financial principles and practices.
- Expert ability to work collaboratively with dynamic and diverse groups of faculty, staff and students and other internal and external, diverse constituencies. Demonstrated ability to develop and implement innovative programs or research agenda.
- Significant experience in academic administration, inter-institutional collaboration, and fundraising.
- Leadership and interpersonal skills with demonstrated managerial expertise and advanced knowledge of educational and socio-cultural theory, policy, practice, and evaluation. Advanced ability to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations; skills in conflict management techniques.
- Expert knowledge of current local, state, and national education policies, theories, and issues. Expert knowledge and understanding of K-14 educational equity programs and issues. Expert knowledge of relevant federal/state regulations and accountability/reporting requirements. Significant experience managing government and/or foundation grants.
- Expert knowledge of pedagogical issues underlying student academic development and achievement for low-income, first generation students.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate emerging partnerships between higher education and K-12 education and expert ability to successfully identify key players and cultivate these relationships.
- Significant knowledge of evaluation methodologies, data analysis procedures, and systems necessary to develop effective data management and evaluation systems.
- Advanced skills in strategy development, systems planning and change management. Expert knowledge of organizational development strategies and practices.
- Advanced degree in a related field, such as Doctorate in Education, Child Development, Psychology, Anthropology and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
Annual salary will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to April 26, 2021.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=16347&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency