Dentist / Assistant Professor-Clinical
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Nursing
Dentist / Assistant Professor - Non-Tenure Clinical Practice Track
Position location: Sheridan Health Services - Southwest DenverThe University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.The College of Nursing has an opening for a part-time, hourly (0.20 FTE) General Practice Dentist / Assistant Professor in the Non-Tenure Clinical Practice Track within its federally qualified community health center, Sheridan Health Services (SHS), located in southwest Denver, CO (zip code: 80236). The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a public education, clinical and research facility serving 4,500 students, and a world-class medical destination at the forefront of life-changing science, medicine, and healthcare. CU Anschutz offers more than 42 highly rated degree programs through 6 schools and colleges, and receives over $500 million in research awards each year. We are the single largest health professions education provider in Colorado, awarding nearly 1,450 degrees annually. Powered by our award-winning faculty, renowned researchers and a reputation for academic excellence, the CU Anschutz Medical Campus drives innovation from the classroom to the laboratory to the delivery of unparalleled patient care. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.Nature of Work:The University of Colorado, College of Nursing, is seeking a General Practice Dentist for part-time, hourly (0.20 FTE) non benefitted position at the Sheridan Health Services (SHS) Family Health Clinic, a Federally Qualified Health Center located in southwest Denver, CO (zip code: 80236). This position is clinic based and will involve direct patient care. Additionally, the position includes an Assistant Professor level, non-tenure clinical practice track appointment within the College of Nursing.Clinic Description: Sheridan Health Services (SHS) is a multi-site, nurse-managed federally qualified community health center, funded through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Bureau of Primary Healthcare; and is a collaborative effort between the College of Nursing and the Sheridan School District. There are now ~45 employees at two convenient locations to serve Arapahoe, Denver and Jefferson Counties. The Youth Health Clinic is a school-based youth clinic is located in the Sheridan School District Administration building. The Family Health Clinic is located in southwest Denver on the Fort Logan campus and provides services to adults and children, 65% of whom identify at Latinx, and 42% of whom are best served in another language, with Spanish being the predominant second language. Services offered include primary care across the lifespan; prenatal and postpartum care, gynecology, dentistry, pharmacy, behavioral health, and outpatient substance abuse treatment. We extend the reach of the clinic through public health outreach where nursing students provide community outreach, health education, and home visitation services. https://nursing.cuanschutz.edu/patient-care/sheridan-health-servicesSupervision Received:Work is performed independently under the direct supervision of the Sheridan Health Services Dental Director.Supervision Exercised:Dental Assistant & Dental Hygienist supervision is required. Student supervision is required during clinical placements.Examples of Work Performed:
- Supervises the dental team, to include coaching on best practices and fostering a collaborative team environment.
- Assesses dental condition and needs of patient using patient screening procedures, including medical history review, dental charting, and periodontal charting
- Examines patients' teeth and mouth
- Analyzes x-rays and evaluates dental needs
- Plans treatment and health promotion programs
- Administers anesthetics to patients
- Treats teeth and tissue problems using equipment and tools, such as drills or mouth mirrors.
- Cleans teeth using a variety of brushes, probes, and polishers to remove plaque and stains
- Cleans out and fills in cavities, rebuilds broken teeth, replaces missing teeth, and pulls out unnecessary or severely damaged teeth
- Extracts teeth, makes models for replacement teeth, and takes accurate measurements for new teeth
- Performs surgery on gums or on supporting bones
- Performs root canals
- Provides instruction on dental care
- Writes prescriptions for dental patients
- Maintains timely and accurate medical records
- Business tasks as needed
- Precepts dental students through the University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine
- Conducts quality improvement activities on an annual basis Participates in peer review and quality improvement, in conjunction with the School of Dental Medicine
- Supervises inventory as needed
- Must be willing and able to obtain Colorado dentist license by date of hire.
- Must be willing and able to obtain valid NPI number by date of hire
- Must be willing and able to obtain valid Colorado Medicaid Provider number by date of hire
- Must be willing and able to complete CAQH by date of hire
- Must be willing and able to obtain current BLS/CPR certification by date of hire.
- Must be willing and able to actively participation in health plan contracts.
- Must be willing and able to remain credentialed by the health plans and ensure credentialing materials stay current.
- Must be willing and able to ensure strict compliance with University and professional policies/procedures
- Must be willing and able to work in a normal patient care environment with some exposure to biological hazards and infectious diseases.
- Must be willing and able to treat both adult and pediatric populations.
- Must be willing and able to take clinical/administrative calls after hours
- Considerable degree of independent judgment and work priorities is necessary to monitor and respond to changes in a client’s condition.
- Ability to use computer and clinic software, and to document in EHR in a prompt, timely manner, ensuring completeness and accuracy
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively with a diverse population of patients, their families, and other members of the health care team
- Excellent knowledge of and ability to perform clinical teaching
- Ability to remain credentialed by the health plans and ensure credentialing materials stay current. Ability to effectively develop and promote practice through participation in marketing and patient recruitment
- Comprehensive knowledge of dental materials, their use, maintenance and storage
- Unconditional ability to maintain compliance with HIPAA and OSHA
- Ability to keep up to date with the latest regulations and best practices in the field, and to develop and update dental policies accordinglyStrong skills personnel management and development. Ability to manage the dental team, to include staffing, performance management, professional development, achieving performance metrics, leading team meetings and fostering a collaborative team environment.Exemplary organizational skills and ability to prioritizeAvailability to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Graduation from an accredited Doctor of Dental Surgery or Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry from an accredited dental school program Current licensure as DentistCurrent licensure in good standing (any state). Could be working toward CO clinical licenses during application process and registered with DORA-Department of Regulatory Agencies. Must have CO licensures by date of hire.
- Current DEA LicenseMinimum 2 years’ general dentistry experience
- Experience utilizing bilingual skills (Spanish/English) at a conversation level in a clinical setting
- One year of Electronic Health Record (EHR) experience, with an Electronic Medical Record/Electronic Dental Record system preferably Intergy/MediaDent
- Student precepting experience
- Experience working in a community health center or public health setting
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 12, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing