Graduate Assistant (Staff), Marketing and Memberships
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Graduate Assistant
Location: Main Campus
Division: Graduate Employment
The Graduate Assistant's primary responsibility is ensuring the smooth operation of an assigned area. Must demonstrate initiative and be pro-active when solving problems. They must be able to answer questions and resolve issues with accuracy and respond to all inquiries in a timely manner. They must also be confident, courteous, respectful, and sincere in the desire to meet customer needs.
The Graduate Assistant will play a lead role in planning, organizing, administering, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive marketing plan to promote Rec/IM's programs and services. To accomplish these goals, the Graduate Assistant will have to enforce policies and procedures while delegating responsibility, assigning special duties, and solving problems.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and design both print and digital marketing materials including but not limited to content creation for the Rec/IM website, print publications, facility signage, promotional videos, and social media content
- Familiar with social media platforms; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Hootsuite, etc.
- Create marketing and implement marketing strategy for Rec/IM. Analyze results and improve on future marketing and communications efforts
- Hire, train, supervise, manage and develop marketing and membership student teams
- Direct efforts of student marketing team
- Develop strategies to recruit and retain Rec/IM members
- Assist in the supervision of the front desk staff responsible for membership sales
- Create marketing materials for each area within the Rec/IM department
- Work cohesively with student employees and professional staff to foster a positive work environment
- Enforce departmental policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, or recognized international institution of higher education
- Must work at least 20 hours a week (evenings and weekends involved)
- Experiences in multiple facets of campus recreation are desired (but not required)
- Must be full or conditionally admitted to a graduate program of study. (Applicants with low grade-point average are NOT ELIGIBLE for assistantships. Students with admission for continuing education, non-degree and teacher certification are also not eligible for a graduate assistantship.)
Knowledge of recreation/intramural programs and administrative duties, typically acquired through a degree or work experience.
Certification in CPR/AED and Standard First Aid(or within first six month or employment, offered through EMU Rec/IM)
Previous marketing experience is essential, experience in work in a Recreation environment is a plus.
Proficiency in Adobe Suite including Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator is preferred.
Excellent leadership, communication, and customer service skills.
- Stipend: $7,524 (total for 1st year) for Fall and Winter Semesters. $8,276 (total for 2nd year). Additional employment is allowed during the summer between academic years of assistantship.
- Period of Employment: August - April.
- Tuition support: For a full-time, academic-year GA appointment, the University provides a tuition scholarship for up to 18 credit hours in each academic year (fall/winter) of the assistantship. Student is responsible for additional fees not covered by tuition (i.e. general fee, student center fee and technology fee), new student record initiation fee, registration fee, late registration fee, drop fees or late fees applied when bills are not paid.
- Priority registration provided by online registration by the date specified by the Office of Records and Registration as noted in the Class Schedule Book or Web site (same date as undergraduate Honors students)
Applicants must apply online at schooljobs.com/careers/emichedu
For questions please contact Justin Jett at [email protected]
For a full-time GA appointment, the University provides a tuition scholarship for up to 18 credit hours in each academic year (September 1 to August 31) of the assistantship.
For graduate assistants who are appointed to part-time positions and for GAs who begin employment after the start of the semester, the number of credit hours covered by the award will be prorated.
Click here for more benefit related information.
Notice of Availability of the Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report
The Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report is available online at: https://www.emich.edu/police/documents/current_yearly_crime_stats.pdf
The report contains information regarding campus safety and security including topics such as: campus law enforcement authority; crime reporting policies; campus alerts (Timely Warnings and Emergency Notifications); fire safety policies and procedures; programs to prevent dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking; the procedures the University will follow when one of these crimes is reported; and other matters of importance related to security on campus. The report also contains information about crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in On-Campus Student Housing Facilities; in Noncampus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University or a recognized student organization; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus. The report also contains fire statistics for any fires occurring in an On-Campus Student Housing Facility during the three most recent calendar years.
If you would like to receive a paper copy of the Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report, you can stop by the Department of Public Safety at 1200 Oakwood St. or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling 734-487-0892 or emailing [email protected]
Are you currently enrolled within a graduate-level program (or higher) with Eastern Michigan University, if not do you have an application currently pending for a graduate-level program (or higher) with Eastern Michigan University?
Please indicate the graduate/doctoral-level program(s) with Eastern Michigan University in which you are currently enrolled or for which you have an application pending.
Do you acknowledge that your tuition waiver may be taxable beyond $5250 per year?
* Required Question