GCHC Licensed Practical Nurse
Job Title: GCHC Licensed Practical Nurse
Location: Rogers State Prison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 225001
Participates in assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation in the delivery of patient care. Under the guidance of a clinical supervisor, provides individualized, direct patient care while maintaining standards of professional nursing.
- Maintains a professional attitude and dress at all times in accordance with GCHC/GDC dress code policies.
- Does not fraternize with inmates beyond professional contact.
- Adheres to all security regulations and reports any security concerns to immediate supervisor.
- Maintains a good working relationship/responds appropriately with correctional and health care staff, contract providers, outside agencies within the facility.
- Utilizes established departmental policies and procedures in making decisions; uses sound independent judgment in meeting responsibilities and performing duties of the position.
- Adheres to HIPAA Regulations and maintains all patient confidentiality as required by Law and GDC/GCHC Policy.
- Follows chain of command for problem resolution.
- Assist in the supervision of inmate orderly workers, noting activities, following directives, and monitors when reports for duty and leaves.
- Works as scheduled and follows GCHCs policies for leave, time-keeping and call-ins.
- Follows GCHC overtime policy.
- Follows standards set forth in GDC/GCHC code of conduct and ethics statements.
- Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action. Develops and maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies, and makes recommendations to supervisors.
- Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the CQI chart audits.
- All other duties as assigned.
Clinical: Under the direction of the RN or Advanced Level Provider
- Accepts staffing assignments and performs other related duties as required or assigned by the DON, RN or Designated Charge Nurse. Performs within the normal limits of State Nurse Practice Act, Code of Ethics for Nurses, policies and procedures, GCHC facility policies/procedures, and standards.
- Adheres to all established GDC nursing protocols. Provides care in accordance with protocols and State Nurse Practice Act.
- Participates in nursing assessment of patient on admission, during confinement, and on discharge in accordance with GDC SOP/LOP, nursing procedure manual and GDC/GCHC established protocols.
- Makes a nursing triage decision which is documented and communicated to other patient care providers.
- Plans an individual nursing treatment program.
- Utilizes approved GDC/GCHC nursing assessment treatment protocols and approved GDC/GCHC nursing procedure manual and approved forms.
- Utilizes referral process to appropriate providers as required by policy.
- Applies knowledge and utilizes available resources in obtaining a health history, planning care and patient teaching.
- Consults and communicates as necessary any patient information with nurses, physicians, clinical associates, correctional officers, non-clinical staff, supervisors and department heads etc. Reports inmates with special or extraordinary medical problems to the Medical Director/DON or health authority as appropriate.
- Implements individual treatment program in the health care unit and, as necessary, in the housing units as ordered by the physician, clinical associate or appropriate therapist.
- Intervenes with proper nursing technique, procedures and safety precautions to meet the individual needs of patients.
- Implements proper nursing techniques/procedures in accordance with GDC/GCHC approved nursing procedure manual.
- Ensures physician's orders are implemented and transcribed in a timely manner in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP'S.
- Administers medication according to proper techniques and procedures, including IV therapy and all other approved routes of administration.
- Utilizes pharmacology knowledge and available resources to include drug reaction and overdose in administering medications.
- Ensures that prescribed medications are administered as ordered using the formulary. Documents administration of medication on the MAR in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP at time of administration.
- Documents non-adherence counseling for medications in accordance with SOP.
- Implements nutrition and therapeutic diet plan as ordered by physician.
- Follows facility procedures for documenting, obtaining and monitoring compliance for therapeutic diets.
- Accurately obtain and documents patient's vital signs, health history, assess patient status to determine appropriate care or treatment necessary for problem presented.
- Recognizes the patient's physical/mental changes and takes appropriate actions. (Notifies appropriate nurse manager or provider.)
- Maintains confidentiality of patient and medical record.
- Documents all patient encounters utilizing problem oriented medical records system SOAP format as required by GDC policy.
- Legibly completes all mandated logs and Health Record Forms in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP. Completes required shift report before leaving the unit. Maintains compliance with all mandated logs and checks for medication, syringe, tools and controlled medication. Does not leave shift until counts cleared and logs signed. Notifies supervisor immediately of any inaccurate counts or missing medications. Reports discrepancies to facility Administration, Regional Pharmacist and GCHC Pharmacy Director.
- Completes all duties in the infirmary according to GDC SOP/LOP and physician's orders.
- Completes bed making and care of personal belongings such as clothing, dentures, eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc as needed.
- Performs functions in maintenance of proper nutrition and fluid balance such as assisting with meals, tube feeding, and monitoring oral and I.V. fluids.
- Assists with toileting, use of PPE and drainage equipment (such as Foley catheter, ostomy bag, etc.). Records Input and Output as ordered.
- Provides assistance with ambulation, transfers, and assistive devices such as walkers, canes, and wheelchairs. Utilizes safe practices in the use of mechanical lifts. Uses proper body mechanics when assisting patients in transfers (i.e., chair to bed, stretcher to bed).
- Assists in turning and repositioning patients as necessary. Performs range of motion exercises. Observe skin condition and reports skin breakdown to RN/MD.
- Maintains aseptic techniques. Verbalizes and demonstrates use of universal precautions for all patients and situations.
- Observes all isolation precautions with the use of protective hepa-filter masks when indicated.
- Demonstrates awareness of infection control procedures and patient safety needs.
- Assists advanced clinical providers as needed.
- Performs venipuncture, draw labs, collect specimens and ensure proper infection control standards are maintained. Prepares and protects specimens for transport. Complete all lab scheduling activities such as data entry, requisition completion, results distribution to the medical records department for inclusion in inmate’s medical charts, maintaining lab tracking log.
- Ensures all biohazard waste is properly secured, stored, and disposed of within the facility.
- Properly disposes of all needles/syringes in accordance with Infection Control policies and procedures. Meets all GDC security requirements with needles/syringes. Uses all safety devices as required.
- Must maintain current BCLS and be proficient in recognizing the need to implement/ use of the AED (defibrillator).
- Responds to codes and emergencies in a timely manner.
- Works as scheduled. Checks schedule routinely for changes due to staff shortage.
- Maintains cleanliness of work areas and re-stock as needed.
- Assists in performing diagnostic procedures.
- Observes and reports signs and symptoms of common conditions such as: behavioral changes, cough, cold, cyanosis, nausea and vomiting, shortness of breath, fever and pain.
- Maintains CEUs as required by Georgia Board of Nursing.
- Attends all meetings, in-services, and training activities.
- Assists in training precepts for new personnel.
- Requests and attends training to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other formal/informal means.
- Completes annual required training hours as mandated by GDC policy.
- Reports all staff safety or patient care issues to the DON, Charge Nurse or RN as soon as possible or immediately upon discovery.
- All other duties as assigned.
A. Licensed as an LPN in the State of Georgia.B. Prefer one year of clinical experience.C. Functions within the Georgia Board of Nursing Nurse Practice Act.D. Current BCLS certification. American Heart or American Red Cross HealthCare
provider only.E. Must relate well to patients, security staff, visitors and co-workers.F. Must be able to lift 50lbs. Normal bending, reaching and stooping. Standing and sitting for long periods of time. Must be able to move quickly across the compound in cases of emergency. Normal levels of hearing and seeing, if necessary, with corrective appliances. Must be able to perform BCLS.G. Security clearance by the Georgia Department of Corrections.