GCHC Director of Nursing
Job Title: GCHC Director of Nursing
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 225237
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Licensed as a RN in the State of Georgia. Three (3) years of previous management or supervisory experience in nursing administration or a clinical setting. Good organizational and decision making skills; able to work under pressure; must relate well to patients, security staff, visitors and co-workers. Must have current Health Care Provider BCLS Certification, obtained through American Heart or Red Cross Program. Security Clearance by the Georgia Department of Corrections.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSBSN degree or an ADN with a BS in Administration or related field with 4 years of supervisory/management experience. Prefer 1 year of experience in a correctional setting.
GENERAL DUTIES:Under general direction of the HSA and Medical Director, directs/supervises nursing services at the prison or any assigned units or facilities; plans and directs activities to provide optimal care. Directs assignments/activities of professional nursing personnel and assists in performance evaluations. Directs procurement of nursing supplies and related equipment. Evaluates patient care, unit conditions, and equipment in use. Monitors CQI programs as they relate to patient care. This position requires active visibility in the medical unit monitoring daily activities and responding to staffing needs.
- Maintains a professional attitude and dress at all times in accordance with GCHC/ GDC dress code policy. Ensures all unit staff adhere to dress code as well.
- Does not fraternize with inmates beyond professional contact.
- Adheres to all security regulations and reports any security concerns to HSA, DWCT or Warden.
- Maintains a good working relationship/responds appropriately with correctional and health care staff, contract providers, and with outside agencies conducting services within the facility.
- Utilizes established departmental policies and procedures in making decisions; uses sound independent judgment in meeting responsibilities and performing duties of the position.
- Adheres to HIPAA Regulations and maintains all patient confidentiality as required by Law and GDC/GCHC Policy.
- Follows chain of command for problem resolution involving the HSA, Medical Director and CPC when applicable.
- Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action. Develops recommendations for needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies, and makes recommendations to supervisors.
- Assists in the supervision of offender orderly workers, noting activities, following directives, and reporting on/off duty and quality of work.
- Works as scheduled and adheres to GCHC policies for leave, timekeeping and call ins.
- Adheres to AU/GCHC polices pertaining to the management and scheduling of overtime.
- Follows standards set forth in GDC/GCHC code of conduct and ethics statements.
- Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the CQI chart audits.
- Reviews 10 records per month from Nursing Sick for all newly hired Nursing staff, tapering to quarterly. Records the reviews on the Health Service Review Log. Review feedback with appropriate nursing staff and have them date/sign Review Log.
- Participates on the CQI Committee. Suggests areas to be studied by the committee. Follows the on-track guide and randomly audits the nine functional areas as needed. Reports findings to the CQI Committee.
- In conjunction with the HSA, maintains audit readiness for GDC/Regional/MAG
- Assists as scheduled/requested in regional reviews with the CPC.
- Assists the HSA in Corrective Action Planning and any required follow up training/studies as needed pertaining to nursing services.
- Reports directly to and meets with the HSA at a minimum of weekly, and prepares reports as requested. Meets with the Medical Director at a minimum of weekly to discuss clinical issues.
- If the facility has a MH Program, meet with MH Director at a minimum of weekly to address MH nursing issues and maintain open lines of communications.
- Reports to the Regional Clinical Coordinator on regular basis in order to address issues of system functionality, staffing, corrective actions, mission changes, changes in procedural practices, policy issues, nursing issues and employee disciplinary actions.
- Functions as a role model for nursing staff by being tactful and diplomatic at all times; mentors and provides leadership for nursing staff.
- Assists in developing, revising, interpreting, and ensuring compliance with the policies, procedures, goals, and philosophy of GCHC.
- Ensures the proper flow of relevant information (policies, procedures, operational issues, personnel matters, clinical concerns, in-services, unresolved problems, etc.) to supervisor and supervised personnel.
- Ensures adequate staff coverage at all times for assigned institution(s) to include LPN/CNA/CMA supervision. Develops and posts schedule at a minimum of 15 days prior to the first of the month. Submits copy of facility schedule to CPC.
- Establishes work schedules; assigns and posts daily duties for nursing staff.
- Provides administrative supervision/support by being available to the nursing staff 24 hrs/day; 7 days per week by phone. Return to the facility to assist with duties or emergencies as needed.
- Recruits, interviews, and hires new nursing employees to fill staff vacancies. Recommends salary offers subject to approval by GCHC. Follows all GCHC hiring guidelines.
- Supervises and evaluates work performance of nursing staff in accordance with GCHC policy and procedures. Provides guidance as needed.
- Completes a written annual evaluation on all supervised employees. Completes six-month probationary evaluation on new employees.
- With direction from the GCHC Human Resources Director, counsels, disciplines, suspend and/or terminates employees who violate policies established by GCHC or the Department of Corrections.
- Supervises a variety of personnel actions to include, but not limited to, hiring, merit recommendations, promotions, transfers, vacation schedules, sick leave and dismissals.
- Validates all nursing licenses with the Board of Nursing Website (www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/rn/) to ensure there has been no action taken against the license and all licensed nursing staff have current license twice per year (March and September) for all new hires and current staff.
- Immediately notifies the RM/CPC of any restrictions placed on a nursing license who will in turn report to the Director of Patient Care Services and HR Director for GCHC. For candidates to fill nursing positions with restricted licensure, must obtain approval of the RM/CPC and Director of Patient Care Services. No candidate with restrictions can be hired without approval.
- Monitors and reports use of overtime, agency and PRN staff to the HSA and others as requested.
- DONs who are designated to complete payroll duties will submit biweekly payroll as required.
- When applicable, assists in recruiting contracted professional providers (physicians, dentists, psychologists, etc.).
- Conducts monthly nursing staff meetings and maintains the meeting minutes.
- Works shifts as needed during periods of short staffing. Performs within the normal limits of State Practice Act, Code of Ethics for Nurses policies and procedures, GCHC facility policies / procedures, and standards.
- Ensures referral process to appropriate providers is in place and functions as required by policy.
- Consults and communicates as necessary, any patient information with nurses, physicians, clinical associates, correctional officers, non-clinical staff, supervisors and department heads etc. Reports inmates with special or extraordinary medical problems to the HSA or designee.
- Implements individual treatment program in the health care unit and, as necessary, in the housing units as ordered by the physician, clinical associate or appropriate therapist.
- Intervenes with proper technique, procedures and safety precautions to meet the individual needs of patients.
- Implements proper techniques/procedures in accordance with GDC/GCHC approved nursing procedure manual/designated protocols and available resources.
- Ensures that physician's orders are implemented.
- Ensures nursing staff administers medication according to proper techniques/ procedures (including IV therapy and all other approved routes of administration) using the formulary and documenting administration of medication on the MAR in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP at time of administration.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient and medical record.
- Ensures nursing staff document all patient encounters, utilizing problem oriented medical records system SOAP format as required by GDC policy.
- Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as directed.
- Ensures nursing staff maintain compliance with all mandated logs/checks for medication, syringe, tools and controlled medication. Report discrepancies to facility Administration, CPC, Regional Pharmacist and GCHC Pharmacy Director.
- Ensure nursing staff properly disposes of all needles/syringes in accordance with Infection Control policies/procedures and GDC security requirements. Ensures staff utilizes all mandated safety devices.
- Ensures infirmary care is in documented as required and GDC policies are followed.
- Supervises and coordinates all Mental Health nursing activities with the MH/MR manager.
- Ensures MHM Mental Health Director is involved with all MHM nurse staffing issues to include interviews.
- Monitors the urgent/emergent log on all scheduled work days; ensures all appropriate patients returning from outside services (ER, Hospital, Infirmaries, etc.) are referred and seen by the APC as required by GDC/GCHC policies.
- Conducts quarterly emergency drills as required by SOP.
- Reviews status of inmates with serious health problems, ensuring all necessary intervention/treatment is completed.
- Ensures the provision of good quality patient care services in accordance with established standards of basic health care and SOPs. Ensures compliance with nursing procedures in accordance with GDC/GCHC approved nursing procedures manual and protocols.
- Monitors and evaluates physical safety requirements of both patients and staff to ensure a safe working environment.
- Assists the Medical Director and HSA in monitoring inpatient hospitalizations; reports and follows along with UM.
- Works closely with Utilization Management staff regarding patients in outside hospitals /agencies (when appropriate) to ensure a close working relationship between them, the correctional staff and GCHC.
- Identifies existing/potential problems and takes effective action. Develops/maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment/supplies, and makes recommendations to the HSA.
- Must maintain current CPR and be proficient in recognizing the need to implement/ use of the AED (defibrillator). Must ensure all licensed staff maintain current CPR and insures hard copy of card is in the staff development manual.
- Provides other services and performs other duties as assigned.
- Orients all new nursing personnel in accordance with SOP to include all documentation of required training.
- Coordinates/schedules all nursing training activities. Maintains training records on all staff in accordance with GCHC/GDC SOPs. Ensures all licensed nursing staff maintains BCLS certification.
- Requests training to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other formal/informal means.
- Attends all meetings, in-services and training activities.
- Communicates to Clinical Program Coordinator immediately any nursing restrictions identified or reported by staff during employment.
- Reports any inmate death to the Clinical Program Coordinator and others in accordance with GCHC policy.
- Reports all staff safety issues or staff assaults to the assigned Clinical Program Coordinator as soon as possible.
- Reports daily operational issues to HSA and CPC if not resolved.
Pay Grade: 21
Minimum Salary: $60,058/Annually
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position
Recruitment Period: 4/8/2021 - Until Filled
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success."
Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is a Division of Augusta University. We are an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. Also, Augusta University is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Conditions of Employment
All candidates are to complete and successfully pass Pre-Employment requirements. This includes a Criminal History Record Release (and when applicable, a Physical Examination and Drug Screen).