Senior Dental Assistant
Job Title: Senior Dental Assistant
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 225940
- Detail and team oriented
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Prioritize tasks, complete work and meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases
- Ability effectively interact with dental assistant, students, faculty and staff
- Good manual dexterity and the ability to lift, push and pull up to 50 pounds
- Excellent verbal/written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of 4 handed dental procedures and chair side dental assisting skills
- Ability to learn sterilization principles, procedures, equipment and patient management software
- Knowledge of dental instruments, infection control protocols, equipment, materials and methods
1. CPR Certified
2. Training with radiological safety
3. Proficient in understanding and speaking Spanish in a clinical setting
4. Must be a certified Dental Surgical Anesthesia Assistant or obtain certification as a dental surgical anesthesia assistant within the first year of employment\
5. A minimum of two years' previous experience as a dental assistant to include previous experience mixing dental materials, taking x-rays, chair side assisting skills/knowledge in multiple dental disciplines (Prosthodontic, Oral Surgery, Esthetic, Endodontic, Pediatric, Orthodontic or Periodontics assisting)Responsibilities The Senior Dental Assistant performs extra-oral chair-side assisting duties in all phases of disciplines of dentistry in the Dental Associates clinic including emergency dentistry, restorative, pediatric, orthodontic, prosthodontics, endodontic, oral surgery, implant surgeries and periodontics assisting. Other related work will also be required which includes but is not limited to preventive and daily maintenance of dental operatory and equipment, clerical assignments, radiological and receptionist responsibilities. Performs dental laboratory duties, including but not limited to pouring and trimming molds and fabricating bleaching trays, mouth guards, splints and night guards. Serves as a liaison for patients, staff, students, residents and faculty within the Dental College. Working in a high-volume, fast-paced environment involving many different procedures in multiple dentistry disciplines. The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist dental students, residents and /or faculty at chair side as anticipated or required in all phases of dentistry utilizing techniques for 4 handed dentistry. Place matrix bands & wedges; Keeps area of operation clear using high speed evacuator, suction tip and irrigation, retracts tissue, tongue and cheek; Maintains aseptic condition and stabilizes tissue in surgical procedures; Itch, prime, bond for composite; CPD & FPO framework try-in; Cementation of crown & bridge; Place retraction cord; Assists with border molds; Implant Surgeries; Polish comal portion of the tooth; Place packing for dry socket; Hybrid dentures; Fabricate crowns and clean Provisionals after cementation; Follow all published guidelines regarding personal protective gear and clinical infection control protocol, i.e. Aware of the MSDS sheets handle and dispose of hazardous materials.
- Cleaning packing and maintaining instruments and equipment required, including sending to and retrieving from central sterilization as needed for daily production. Ensure all implant kits (surgical and restorative) are complete and in good working order. Prepares sterile trays for surgical procedures. Exercises skill in motivating the patient to engage in preventive dental care practices by providing instruction including demonstrations in brushing and flossing techniques, explaining the common causes of tooth decay. Answers questions for clear understanding of treatment.
- Laboratory duties pouring prosthodontic models from impressions: cleaning and trimming models, boxing and waxing impressions; constructing custom impression trays, night guards, mouth guards, bleaching trays, polishing denture and prosthodontic appliances, and making bite rims. Also take face bows and mount cast with face bow to obtain proper occlusion for cast restorations and reline dentures with hard and soft materials.
- Performs full range of dental radiography work. Operates dental x-ray equipment to include taking routine and specialized radiographs as requested. Take panorex, periapical occlusal, lateral, jaw and extra-oral radiographs as required. Develops and mounts radiographs into patient electronic recording Axium. Communicates with patient explaining the purpose of procedure and answers any concerns regarding dental radiographs.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.