Putting Integrity Into Practice
Promoting honesty and integrity across our daily actions and interactions, our compliance, privacy, and regulatory professionals provide the guidance and resources to uphold the highest ethical standards.
Ombuds Officer – Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine
By joining the team that is designing and implementing Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine, you will have the opportunity of a lifetime to create a medical school that will educate physicians for the 21st century and beyond and be a catalyst for change in medical education. The School of Medicine team works from an interdependent model of practice and we are looking for someone who thrives in a highly challenging role within a high functioning team-based environment.
The Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine is devoted first and foremost to offering an outstanding, forward-thinking medical education. Its curriculum is built on the three pillars of Biomedical Science, Clinical Science, and Health Systems Science. Students will think broadly about the ways care can be more effective for everyone and learn how to advocate for better health in homes, school, workplaces, neighborhoods, and society at large. The school will incorporate many of the most innovative and effective educational practices available today and will give students the opportunity to learn from the physicians and care teams in Kaiser Permanente’s integrated health care system. This approach will provide future physicians with the knowledge and skills to play key roles in the transformation of healthcare in our nation and help people from all backgrounds and settings thrive. Learn more at medschool.kp.org.
In this role, you will establish and lead the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine Office of the Ombuds in providing confidential, independent, informal, and impartial conflict resolution services to the school community in compliance with professional standards of practice and code of ethics. You will be responsible for program administration and management, including establishing priorities, goals, objectives, and work plans, and directing resources for the Office. Possessing wide-ranging skillsets and experience, you will use conflict resolution and mediation techniques to resolve complex issues in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. In addition, you will exercise sound judgment and analysis of situations in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results and will be considered a subject matter expert at the school.
- At least five years of related experience in higher education, academic medicine, and/or health care
- Advanced ombuds professional training
- A bachelor’s degree
- The ability to act with utmost discretion, confidentiality, and neutrality
- Expert knowledge of conflict resolution and mediation techniques, methods, and principles, and demonstrated ability to develop effective options for conflict resolution
- Expert knowledge of applicable laws, rules, regulations and/or policies and procedures, research methods, techniques, and sources of information.
- Knowledge of management principles, concepts, and best practices, including skill in establishing and implementing the vision, program direction, goals, and objectives for the Kaiser Permanente School Of Medicine Office of the Ombuds
- Adherence to strict standards of practice and ethical conduct, including the International Ombudsman Association (IOA) Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics
- Expert interpersonal communication skills, including active listening, discernment, empathy, and sensitivity with expert critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Highly effective presentation and meeting facilitation skills with the demonstrated ability to develop and deliver effective training programs and outreach sessions, and to moderate a range of meetings, including town hall style forums and small group listening sessions
- The ability to work collaboratively to build and sustain highly effective, and positive relationships at all levels of the organization
- Deep experience working with diverse populations, across multiple dimensions including race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, and organizational hierarchy
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of equity, inclusion, and diversity
- A high degree of emotional intelligence to interact with diverse colleagues and visitors on highly sensitive and complex matters
- The ability to assess ones’ own behaviors and the impact they have on others
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- At least seven years of related experience in higher education, academic medicine, and/or health care
- Experience providing organizational ombuds services to university or college employees
- Experience working with Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) procedures
- Certification as a Restorative Justice practitioner, or the willingness to be certified as a practitioner or demonstrated expertise and experience with Restorative Justice practices
- A master’s degree in business, health care, public administration, or related field
For immediate consideration, please visit http://kp.org/careers for complete qualifications and job submission details, referencing job number 949845.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
This position supports Kaiser Permanente’s code of conduct and compliance by adhering to all laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements, and internal policies and procedures.
Discover what it’s like to be part of an industry-leading organization driving innovative care and technology. Get social with us and see what people are saying!
Glassdoor and LinkedIn: Kaiser Permanente
Facebook: Kaiser Permanente Thrive
YouTube: Kaiser Permanente Careers