Management Information SystemsDepartment Website Link:
1130 E. Helen Street, Tucson, AZ 85721 USAPosition Highlights:
The Department of Management Information Systems (MIS) is seeking applicants for a full-time Accountant II.
The selected candidate will work as part of the MIS Business Office team, under the direction of the Administrative Manager, to perform complex accounting responsibilities.
The incumbent will support sponsored research pre-award activities for department research faculty, provide monthly account reconciliations for KFS accounts (state, designated, federal and non-federal sponsored research, and restricted gifts), UA Foundation accounts, and internal commitments. The Accountant II will also initiate, or review, daily financial transactions in accordance with all applicable policies for the fund source and provide financial guidance to other support members of the business office team.
This position requires expert knowledge, professional application of accounting principles, and an adherence to university policies and procedures. The successful candidate will be able to detect, analyze, and correct accounting variances independently and effectively meet strict deadlines while managing multiple task priorities.
The MIS Department is one of six academic departments in the Eller College of Management at the University of Arizona. The department has been ranked in the top 5 in the field of information systems for over 30 years.
The MIS Department and the Eller College of Management celebrate the diversity of our students and are working to increase diversity among our faculty and staff. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. We believe diversity enriches us all, expands our understanding, and allows us to create better solutions.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please visit http://talent.arizona.edu.
Sponsored Projects Pre-AwardSupport:
- Works with department faculty to prepare grant budgets, justifications, and other proposal documents that may be required for the submission (letters of intent, letters of support or financial commitment, F&A waivers, etc.).
- Corresponds with subrecipients for required documents from outside institutions.
- Initiates research proposals in UAccess Research and follows document approvals upon submission; corresponds with other research administrators and campus units as needed.
- Enters budget and subaward budgets into the sponsor application portal (FastLane, Research.Gov, ASSIST).
Sponsored Projects Post-AwardSupport:
- Assists with subaward contract management (prepares supporting documentation, corresponds with SPS subaward team and initiates purchase order amendments for the subaward agreement when contract is fully executed).
- Monitors subaward expenses to ensure compliance with the contract terms and certifies payments post correctly and timely to the grant account.
- Initiates any position funding changes needed for department personnel to expend to the correct sponsored account and serves as backup to Administrative Manager on semi-annual effort certification process.
- Prepares budget variance reports for all department accounts (KFS, UAF and internal commitments) on a monthly basis.
- Reconciles expense transactions to ensure they post to correct fund source in accordance with all applicable policies.
- Monitors all revenue received to ensure department commitments are fulfilled.
- Creates custom ad-hoc reports in UAccess Analytics to monitor detail expenses and/or provide supplemental financial information to faculty, Administrative Manager, or Department Head on department financial resources.
- Initiates purchase requisitions as needed.
- Prepares Disbursement Vouchers (expense reimbursements/vendor payments).
- Prepares domestic and international travel expense reports.
- Prepares cash transfers (TFs) to load budget or process budget adjustments as needed for department funding allocations.
- Initiates any adjusting transactions necessary (SETs, GECs, DIs) if inconsistencies are identified during account reconciliation process.
- Distributes IDC revenue on quarterly basis to research faculty from the department’s allocation.
- Certifies annually in cash handling to be able to initiate deposits to UA/UAF accounts as appropriate.
- Stays informed of, interprets and applies pertinent rules, regulations, policies and procedures set forth by the college, university or outside governing agencies for all expense transactions initiated.
- Assists Administrative Manager with fiscal year-end and annual close out procedures.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional level experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in Microsoft Office suite, primarily Excel.
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
$42,007 - $50,000Compensation Type:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
7Career Stream and Level:
FinanceType of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
5/3/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
4/9/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.