Tech Support Analyst (Journey)
013125Position Classification Title:
Technology Support AnalystFunctional Title:
Tech Support Analyst (Journey)Position Type:
UNC Greensboro, located in the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina, is 1 of only 57 doctoral institutions recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for both higher research activity and community engagement. Founded in 1891 and one of the original three UNC System institutions, UNC Greensboro is one of the most diverse universities in the state with 20,000+ students, and 3,000+ faculty and staff members representing 90+ nationalities. With 17 Division I athletic teams, 85 undergraduate degrees in over 125 areas of study, as well as 74 master’s and 32 doctoral programs, UNC Greensboro is consistently recognized nationally among the top universities for academic excellence and value, with noted strengths in health and wellness, visual and performing arts, nursing, education, and more. For additional information, please visit uncg.edu and follow UNCG on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
The Unit’s IT staff supports academic computing services and infrastructure (related to both instruction and research) to supplement the academic computing services and infrastructure provided collectively by the University. Central to this mission is providing exceptional customer service and support for computing needs not otherwise accommodated by the University.Position Summary:
This Tech Support Analyst is involved with the physical IT infrastructure of unit-level services including the acquisition and maintenance of desktop and mobile computer systems. The position is involved with the development and maintenance of unit specific instructional, research, and administrative systems.
Position responsibilities include:
- Technical support for desktop and mobile computers
- Management of computer applications
- Project management for Unit IT projects
- Research and planning for Unit IT infrastructure
Details pertaining to work activities reflected below in the Key Responsibilities section.
An Associate’s degree in Computer Information Technology, Computer Technology Integration, Networking Technology, or related area and one year of experience in the information technology field related to the position’s role: or a Bachelor’s degree from an appropriately accredited institution and one year experience in the information technology field related to the position’s role: or Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, math or engineering or related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Journey level requires an additional one (1) year of experience
- Advanced level requires an additional two (2) years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Certifications related to Dell and/or Apple computers or demonstrated experience providing technical support for these products.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Special Instructions to Applicants:
Required documents to upload:
- Cover letter, not to exceed one page, detailing personal qualifications as they relate to the position description.
- List of references
The list of references must detail at least three (3) professional references including:
- Company Name
- Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references must be a current or previous supervisor.
- Email Address
- Contact Phone Number
Applicants must complete and submit an electronic application in full detail for employment to be considered. Mailed resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.Recruitment Range:
Dean's Office - BE - 11801Work Hours of Position:
8 A.M - 5 P.M., M-FNumber of Months per Year:
Information TechnologyCareer Banded Title:
Technology Support AnalystOpen Date:
Non-ExemptSalary Grade Equivalency:
Technical support for desktop and mobile computersEssential Tasks:
Provide desktop and laptop support for faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate student workers that are using assigned UNCG-owned computers. Supported systems shall include both Windows-based and Apple/Mac desktops and laptops.
Technical support services shall include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain School computing and instructional hardware and while assuring compliance with all University standards and licenses.
- Assistance for making system selections.
- Routine troubleshooting, maintenance, and diagnostics.
- Erase and re-image both Windows and Mac-based computers with current base image and user requested supported applications.
- Test supported system upgrades. Apply available OS and application updates as required.
- Assist users with upgrading their Mac systems to the current recommended version of macOS and other key software.
- Observe system processes to identify potential problems or errors and initiate corrective actions.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Employee shall resolve most incidents escalated to them. This requires excellent customer service skills, a proactive approach to customer service, and a range of technical understanding to independently resolve routine and non-routine issues on software, hardware, and security. To be successful, employee shall maintain currency of knowledge of both PC and Mac computer hardware to document technical solutions that solve client problems and clearly presents these solutions. Additionally, employee shall maintain knowledge of current software compatibility of various versions of Apple hardware and software.Key Responsibility:
Management of computer applicationsEssential Tasks:
- Install, maintain, and provide training for unit-specific applications used to support faculty and staff, as required.
- Provide assistance for UNCG supported cloud storage applications (Box, Google Drive, OneDrive), as well as network access and storage, when appropriate.
- Provide first-level application support for common UNCG supported apps. Specialized and technical applications may be referred to ITS for more detailed user support.
- In problem-solving, employee shall observe system processes to note any issues and take corrective actions, developing changes and enhancements to supported systems. In the execution of duties, the employee will integrate knowledge and skills from a range of technologies to address work assignments and problems of moderate complexity.
- Create and maintain internal supported system documentation, including documenting non-routine procedures, workarounds, and solutions.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Project management for Unit IT projectsEssential Tasks:
- Coordinate needs assessment and planning for initiatives and hardware selection.
- Maintain needed inventory of equipment, spare products, and relevant workspaces.
- Consult with clients, internal staff, ITS, and vendors for planning purposes and to troubleshoot issues as they arise.
- Responsibilities require the ability to manage technical projects with minimal supervision, showing initiative in solving problems associated with daily tasks. Additionally, employee needs to be able to document solutions that solve client problems and clearly present these solutions.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Research and planning for Unit IT infrastructureEssential Tasks:
- Review, analyze, evaluate, and modify current systems to determine improvements and make recommendations.
- Assist leadership with planning for new products and technologies. Research emerging technologies associated with supported systems that may benefit clients.
- Research potential issues with integration of hardware with the UNCG systems and networks.
- Help determine technical needs of supported system, providing information to leadership.
- Responsibility requires the ability to work independently on tasks and the ability to effectively communicate.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Technical KnowledgeCompetency Description:
- Substantial working knowledge as demonstrated by an understanding and use of the principles, theories, and practices pertinent to area of responsibility.
- Ability to train peers and others on use of technology.
Technical Solution DevelopmentCompetency Description:
- Ability to document solutions that solve client problems and clearly presents these solutions.
- Knowledge and skills from a range of technologies to address work assignments.
Technical SupportCompetency Description:
- Demonstrates a range of technical understanding to independently resolve routine and non-routine issues on software and/or hardware.
- Technical knowledge to update and maintain integrity of tables and security.
Planning and OrganizingCompetency Description:
- Ability to work independently on tasks, develops own work, schedule and monitors progress against defined parameters.
- Ability to perform job with minimal supervision.
Consultancy SkillsCompetency Description:
- Ability to consult with clients and other IT professionals to resolve technical problems and ensure client satisfaction.
- Proactively verifies problem resolution.
Project ManagementCompetency Description:
- Ability to manage technical projects involving own work and under minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates initiative in solving problems associated with projects and daily work.
Hand Movement-Repetitive Motions - F, Finger Dexterity - F, Reading - F, Writing - F, Vision-Preparing/Analyzing figures - F, Hearing - O, Talking - O, Lifting-0-30 lbs. - RWork Environment:
Inside - C