Radio Communications Inspector
Job no: 516229
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Architecture/Construction/Planning, Facilities/Skilled Trades
Department:71010000 - EHS-ENVR / HLTH / SAFETY-ADMIN
Radio Communications InspectorJob Description:
- Performs testing of radio signal strength within new and existing buildings in accordance with the requirements of NFPA 1, 72, and 101. Analyzes the test data to determine if emergency radio signal strengths are met.
- Coordinates design and installation of equipment to meet the minimum signal strength as required by the applicable codes. After installation of required equipment retests the building to determine signal strength requirements are met.
- Consults with architects and engineers during the design of new buildings to recommend infrastructure to be included in the project. May meet with the State Fire Marshal representatives to prove compliance with enhanced radio requirements. May perform construction inspections to determine compliance with the design documents as it relates radio communications within the building.
- Prepares reports, proposes budgets for corrective equipment needed in existing buildings, oversees the installation of equipment and performs final testing.
- This position may require some travel to other UF facilities located throughout the state.
- Operate UF/state vehicle(s) and perform other duties as assigned.
Salary commensurate with education and experience.Minimum Requirements:
High school and five years of experience in inspection or the construction trades. Appropriate college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.Preferred Qualifications:
EDUCATION & TRAINING: Bachelor's Degree in an appropriate area.
- Experience with testing radio signals for strength and intelligibility.
- Understand FCC rules pertaining to DAS/BDA systems.
- Knowledge NFPA requirements as they relate to the enhanced radio signal strength.
- Knowledge of various types of software as it relates to building construction.
- Knowledge of basic construction techniques and requirements.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel
- Knowledge of Construction Terminology, Radio Systems and Radio Enhancement systems.
- Assist in value engineered designs to achieve acceptable test results.
- Ability to use personal computer in a productive manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work assignments to meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationship with co-workers and extended campus personnel.
- Ability to perform duties in an accurate, timely and confidential manner.
PHYSICAL QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to access all areas of buildings, including mechanical rooms, roofs, stairwells, elevators, classrooms and offices. Ability to walk for several hours per day when performing building testing.Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your:
- Cover letter
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
PHYSICAL QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to access all areas of buildings, including mechanical rooms, roofs, stairwells, elevators, classrooms and offices. Ability to walk for several hours per day when performing building testing.
Valid Florida driver license.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: Criminal background check and a post offer health assessment is required.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 09 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 25 Apr 2021 Eastern Daylight Time