Technical Records Specialist 2
Posting Code: 3041302
Work type: Classified
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Academic Programs, Administration and Business Operations, Customer Service
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Purpose:
Provides technical support for programs and organizational activities to convey information, determine compliance, and resolve controversial situations; acts as a resident expert in the implementation and maintenance of technical program guidelines; perform related work.Level Scope:
Applies skills and job knowledge in area of specialization; may adapt procedures, operations, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet needs of area of specialization; may work on non-routine tasks; resolves issues/makes working decisions within area of specialization or responsibility with minimal supervision.Essential Functions:
60% of Time the Technical Records Specialist 2 must:
- This class is distinguished from the Technical Records Specialist 1 by the requirement for the use of judgment, discretion, and interpretation of a variety of complex guideline policies and procedures for different programs within a related field. The incumbent is responsible for the final work and any consequence of error. The work requires extensive knowledge of department programs and objectives. The program knowledge is of such a complex nature that it typically takes new incumbents a substantial amount of time to learn. Incumbents function with considerable independence and exercise discretion in applying policies and procedures.
- Incumbents perform complex and difficult program support functions for multiple or highly specialized programs. Incumbents have the authority, knowledge, and judgment to devise solutions that fall outside existing policies and procedures. The work requires problem solving and negotiation skills with authority to act on decisions made. Incumbents serve as a program expert; and provide guidance and assistance regarding complex program rules and regulations to office staff and external customers. Due to the nature of the work, incumbents have frequent contact with internal and external customers, which requires good public relation skills. Incumbents function with considerable independence and exercise discretion in applying policies and procedures. The work requires extensive knowledge of department programs and objectives. Incumbents may supervise support staff or perform leadwork duties.
35% of Time the Technical Records Specialist 2 must:
- May be responsible for ensuring that assignments given to other staff are completed and timelines are met.
- Ability to work with individuals of varying educational, financial, and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work with a diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic population.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of tact and diplomacy and be able to work with a diverse Veteran population within the organization and from the local and campus communities.
- Perform other duties as assigned and determined by department needs.
5% of Time the Technical Records 2 duties as assigned.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and data management.
- Experience: conducting sensitive fact-finding interviews; storing, retrieving and compiling information in a report format using database software and using spreadsheet software.
Must have experience with:
- Monitoring record systems to identify and correct errors.
- Interpreting, explaining, and applying laws, regulations, and complex policies for multiple or highly specialized programs.
- Analyzing information and researching a variety of sources to identify and resolve problems or issues.
- Experience dealing with individuals who are in stressful situations from varying cultural/socioeconomic backgrounds and de-escalating emotionally charged situations.
- Entering and retrieving data using a computerized record system; composing and proofreading business correspondence.
- Previous work experience with Veterans' GI Bill educational benefits.
- Experience applying written policies and criteria and determining qualifications for services or benefits.
- The ability to gather, verify, interpret, and act on personal information from various sources to determine eligibility for services.
Salary starts at $16.48 and will commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter
- You must provide a Writing Sample answering the following questions:
Advertised: April 08, 2021
Applications close: April 18, 2021