Entrepreneurship Program Coordinator
Job location: College at Wise (Wise, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-04-08
Administrative Generalists are responsible for a variety of professional level work across a composite of administrative service areas including budget, finance, procurement, human resources, academic administration, student services, communications, grants and research administration, space and facilities and/or high-level operational support. They act on behalf of a program, function, or department, and may report to a unit administrator. Responsibilities and authority are equivalent to other exempt Generalists across Grounds, such as Finance Generalists, HR Generalists, Student Services Generalists, but Administrative Generalists assume a breadth of responsibilities across multiple functions. Administrative Generalists are distinguished from Coordinators by the requirement for specialized education or experience to perform the essential functions of the job. The primary focus is on delivery of professional services, which may include project management, compliance, administrative program creation and oversight, training, analysis, and research and contract administration. This is a professional level title, not intended for those performing direct administrative support. This position may also serve in a supervisory capacity.
The University of Virginia's College at Wise invites applications for an Entrepreneurship Program Coordinator for the Office of Economic Development & Strategic Initiatives. This is a full-time position with an office located at The Nest in Wise. The UVA Wise Office of Economic Development & Strategic Initiatives serves Southwest Virginia communities, citizens, and employers to support our region's vitality through economic development, education, entrepreneurship, innovation, health and wellness. Our service and support extend to UVA Wise students, faculty, staff, and professionals including those in economic development as well as organizations, employers and citizens of the region. This position is currently grant funded through June 30, 2023.
The Entrepreneurship Program Coordinator is responsible for the following:
- Regional Outreach & Community Engagement
- Provide coordination and support to the Opportunity SWVA entrepreneurship initiative to include identification of goals, strategic planning, facilitation of action teams, planning and organizing of bimonthly meetings, and working with regional partners on programs and events.
- Promoting the Opportunity SWVA initiative and the SWVA region as an entrepreneurial center by building and maintaining relationships with partners and funders, developing reports and marketing materials, presenting the initiative’s work throughout the region, and maintaining the website and social media outlets.
- Providing direct support to potential and existing entrepreneurs in the region by connecting them with the appropriate resource partners, tracking their progress, and following up with them on a regular basis.
- Assist with logistics and planning for Rally SWVA mini grant program.
- Assist Community Development Manager with building a network of community coaches by planning logistics and organizing an annual Community Coaching Summit.
- Managing budgets and reports related to each program, grant and overall office operations.
- UVA Wise Entrepreneurship Capacity
- Building entrepreneurial capacity at UVA Wise by planning and coordinating various programs, workshops, and competitions that expose students to entrepreneurship, inspire and encourage students to start ventures, connect them with resources and mentors, and support them as they move their business ideas forward.
- Planning and coordinating student entrepreneur competitions (events such as the UVA Wise Entrepreneurship Cup) Day to include designing the competitions and events, encouraging student participation, overseeing logistics for the events, and recruiting sponsors and mentors to assist and support student needs.
- Planning and coordinating an annual trip to Charlottesville for entrepreneurial students to participate in the Tom Tom Founder’s Summit and visit UVA, HackCville, and UVA’s i.Lab.
- Managing The Nest, a collaborative space off-campus for student entrepreneurs and community members to work on their projects, to include designing and coordinating programs, managing co-working space, and exploring funding opportunities and building relationships with potential funders.
- Building and maintaining relationships with UVA Wise staff and faculty to better engage student entrepreneurs and enhance their level of entrepreneurial learning.
- Providing guidance and support to the Innovators INC student entrepreneurship club to include assisting with weekly meetings, various programs and events, student recruitment, and social media.
- Overseeing outreach and communication efforts for student entrepreneurship, including website maintenance, presentation material, correspondence with sponsors, and reports.
- Providing experiential opportunities for students by managing and supporting student interns.
A bachelor's degree is required and 1-2 years experience in entrepreneurship/business programming or an entrepreneurship venture is preferred.
To apply, please visit https://hr.virginia.edu/careers-uva/job-openings and complete the online application process. UVA Wise is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Employee fulfills duties as a "responsible employee" under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
UVA Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.
Education: Bachelor's degree
Experience: One to two years experience in entrepreneurship/business programming or an entrepreneurship venture is preferred.
This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.