Laboratory & Field Technician
Laboratory & Field Technician
This is a 100% external-fund supported position with funds from the Great Lakes Fishery Commission. The person in this position will conduct collection trips on the Great Lakes and connecting waterways. The person in this position will conduct sampling trips on the Great Lakes and connecting waterways. The primary sampling focus will the collection of invasive grass carp. (S)he will be responsible for processing biological samples on boats and in the laboratory. (S)he will regularly use software that requires prior knowledge of common data storage and analysis software, e.g. Excel, Access, R. Principal Duties and ResponsibilitiesQualifications:
- BS in Environmental or Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Fisheries, or related field. MS or relevant professional experience strongly preferred. Must have knowledge of basic fish ecology, limnology, and Great Lakes science.
- A valid US driver’s license and ability to drive University of Toledo’s vehicles is required.
- Experience sampling Great Lakes, connected waterway, or large rivers. Must be able to manage sampling trips independently without the presence of the PI. Will be required to make a series of decisions on each sampling trip based on understanding of the scientific goals of the project and experience with weather and water conditions in the Great Lakes.
- Sampling will be carried out in collaboration with seasonal employees of The University of Toledo and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife and other agencies. The person in this position must be able to manage and direct field activities on a day to day basis. Experience working with or for state natural resources agencies is highly desired.
- Knowledge of fisheries or limnology, ability to collect and analyze samples.
- Experience in the operation and data processing from standard fisheries and limnological gear.
- Knowledge of standard data storage and analysis packages and fish ecology are required (Excel, Access, R, or SAS).
- This position requires the scientific education and experience to make day-to-day decisions about the implementation of an existing study design which has been laid out in the project contract.
- Further, this person must have experience and be comfortable presenting and discussing results and conclusions of data collection and analysis to scientific audiences.
- The person in this position must work well as a team member, sometimes under uncomfortable field conditions (e.g. cold, heat, rain).
- The ability to lift sampling gear weighing up to 80lbs with assistance from another crew member.
- Overnight travel will be required for sampling.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the people so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.The University of Toledo is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. The University of Toledo does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military or veteran status, disability, familial status, or political affiliation. The University of Toledo provides reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you require accommodation to complete this application, or for testing or interviewing, please contact the Human Resources Department at 419-530-4747 between the hours of 8:30AM and 5:00PM or apply online for an accommodation request.Computer access is available at most public libraries and at the Office of Human Resources located in the Center for Administrative Support on the Main Campus of the University of Toledo, or at the satellite HR Office located at the Facilities Services Building, Suite 1000 on the Health Science Campus.