About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Executive Chef
State Job Title: Staff Assistant
Department: Dining Services
Job Code: HA5600
FLSA Status: Exempt
Funding: 7115-6014- (Special Trust Fund)
Bargaining Unit: APA
Job Type: Full-Time Permanent
Timeframe: 52 Weeks
Shift: Monday- Friday 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. Schedule varies and will include nights and weekends
Regular Days Off: Saturday and Sunday
Supervision Received: Supervision received from the Director of Dining Services.
Supervision Exercised: Supervises student, non-student, culinary, production, and dining procurement employees.
Salary: $74,500.00-$84,500.00 (Salary will commensurate with experience)
General Statement of Duties:
Under the supervision of the Director of Dining Services, the Executive Chef is responsible for developing, implementing and managing culinary operations for all areas of the Dining Services Department, including the dining commons, catering and retail operations. Provides leadership and support for Westfield State University Dining Services developing a culture of culinary excellence, exceptional guest service, and creative innovation in delivering a passion filled dining program. Develop and execute ongoing training and development, operational production design, recipe and menu development, purchasing support, and the execution of high profile events. Establishes and maintains high food quality standards and works with the Director in formulating a yearly food budget and a business plan for residential and retail food operations. The critical elements of this position include quality and cost of food, guest satisfaction, providing a positive work environment for staff, safety, and sanitation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Lead the research, development, and implementation of new menus and product specifications that incorporate current industry trends and patterns.
- Provide training and functional supervision for all culinary staff in all areas of large volume production, just-in-time cooking, food presentation, service, portion control, and merchandising.
- Develop and execute action cooking stations and executive chef's table to highlight unique cooking styles, local and regional foods, and a diversity of culinary cuisines.
- Standardize production recipes with emphasis on food quality and presentation. Manage production records and usage effectively reducing waste costs.
- Lead and support exceptional menu innovation for residential and retail operations that is nutritious, healthy, local, sustainable and financially viable.
- Responsible for menu planning and development, recipe testing, concept development, and chairing the menu committee for the retail, catering, and residential programs.
- Collaborate with dietitian and students to address issues of allergies and special dietary needs. Interview students to identify needed accommodations.
- Responsible for product innovation, specification and ongoing use of seasonal and local ingredients in menu planning. Develop relationships with local vendors and farmers to purchase within 150 miles of campus when possible.
- Provide classroom training and development for all culinary staff, a minimum of two training experiences per culinary staff member annually.
- Understand and be committed to, and supportive of, affirmative action and non-discrimination goals and customer-focused quality services.
- Perform other food and beverage activities as required, including external interviews and media outlet appearances to maximize the program and University exposure.
- Design appropriate steps to accomplish culinary development needs.
- Required to participate in programs of quality assurance, peer review, continuing education, student food committee and year-in-review. Work with Director in program enhancements and take initiative to improve the quality of food service. Participate in and actively communicate with students and understand the unique needs of the collegiate aged consumer.
- Work with the management team in recruiting new staff to include establishing criteria for evaluation and testing for culinary hiring and promotional opportunities. Exercise functional supervision of culinary related staff in the dining commons and retail food services. Provide input to the Director concerning performance of staff functionally supervised.
- Work with the Director in developing operating budget and being accountable for operating within budgetary constraints.
- Provide leadership for the multitude of functions within food production. Establish strategic direction and set operating policies. Maximize revenue potential and net income for board, catering and retail food services. Use benchmarking on a weekly basis to measure the success of the business. Work with Director in developing a business plan for the food services locations. Monitor best demonstrated practices within the industry market, and apply as needed for continuous improvement.
- Implement and create the Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) as needed.
- Demonstrate and enforce Hazardous Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles.
- Work with the management team in merchandising all food concept events for menus, mini and major specials. In cooperation with management, develop and implement innovative programs for entertainment and serving of food in Dining Services.
- Be visible, interact, and connect with staff and guests during meal time hours in back and front of house; solicit ongoing feedback on food quality, presentation, and service levels.
- Collaborate with the procurement manager to take advantage of market cost saving opportunities and vendor bidding as needed.
- Collaborate as the FoodPro Administrator with managers to ensure accurate item specifications, menus, recipes, nutrition, production, and inventory functions.
- Solve problems professionally, rapidly, and fairly in a multiple union environment.
- Establishes and maintains cleaning and maintenance schedules for equipment, storage and work areas. Ensures that kitchen staff follows and completes schedules as assigned. Ensures all equipment in the kitchen is properly maintained and in working order in accordance with the local Health Department and University standards.
- Oversee food purchasing, inventory, quality and quantity of supplies and establish controls to minimize food and supply waste.
- Plan and conduct meetings with staff to ensure compliance with practices, and policies and to keep employees abreast of current changes and standards; Identify and analyze training needs and design, and implementation programs to address deficiencies.
- Display exceptional leadership by providing a positive work environment, counseling employees as appropriate, and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to management. Identifies the developmental needs of kitchen staff and provides coaching, mentoring, and also helping them to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Provide direction for all day-to-day operations in the kitchen, understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties during employees' absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
- Manage safety protocols and procedures for culinary operations to include, but not limited to, monthly safety committee meetings, PPE use, and accident investigations.
- Support investigations related to food safety issues and product recall/holds.
Qualifications Required at Hire
- Associate's Degree in culinary arts from an accredited culinary school, or equivalent industry experience and 5-7 years executive chef or hospitality management experience in high volume and high quality operations (college, university, or business and industry) which have a variety of concepts and catering services.
- Certification from a recognized culinary program (e.g., American Culinary Federation [ACF]).
- Experience with computerized menu management, inventory, and food production software systems.
- Ability to use the Microsoft Office Suite of software.
- Ability to utilize the internet to operate web based software such as CBORD, ordering, scheduling, and benchmarking.
- Understanding and experience in a multiple union environment is preferred.
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods.
- Ability to work in both hot and cold kitchen environments for extended periods.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Desire to learn, grow, and develop a university culinary program
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An on-line application is required. The successful candidate must submit an official transcript at the time of hire. Interested candidates should electronically attach the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three references *
- Copy of unofficial transcript of highest degree
* Provide the contact information for reference providers in the reference section of the online application.
Deadline: The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalists have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=129768&CNTRNO=0&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency