Instructor, OLLI at Pacific (Temporary Employee Pool)
Instructor, OLLI at Pacific (Temporary Employee Pool)
Primary Purpose and Essential Functions:
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at University of the Pacific, Stockton campus seeks instructors to teach classes on a part-time basis to lifelong learning members in intellectually stimulating, non-credit Education programs. Our current part-time faculty are drawn from regional expertise in teaching and leadership, and offer a wealth of practitioner-based expertise to our students. Visiting Instructors are part-time, non-tenure-track employees, contracted via mutually-signed offer letters, to teach specific classes during specific semesters (specific dates) as outlined in the offer letter.
Non-tenure-track faculty members collaborate in fulfilling the University's mission to provide a superior, student-centered learning experience integrating liberal arts and professional education and preparing individuals for lasting achievement and responsible leadership in their careers and communities.
1. Design and conduct educational programs and courses of instruction in accordance with the policies of the University.
2. Actively participate in the comprehensive planning or review of the development and quality improvement of the educational programs and courses of study, assist in the evaluation of the effectiveness of such programs and courses, and to make recommendations to the Deans and Provost concerning the educational mission, programs, and policies of the University.
3. Recommend educational policies and degree requirements which effectively carry out the mission of the University.
4. Advise students on academic progress, and recommend student candidates for earned degrees.
5. Participate in the selection, evaluation, and advancement of faculty and academic administrators.
6. Contribute to the advancement of knowledge through open inquiry, creative activity and research as appropriate.
7. Participate in service as requested or required.
The faculty member may consider any matter in connection with the effectiveness and quality of the educational program or the professional welfare of the faculty, may make recommendations to the department chair, academic dean or provost concerning any policies, programs, or procedures which affect the educational program or faculty welfare.
Each school and college in the University may have a faculty of its own consisting of all members of the University faculty within the particular school or college and subject to the approval of the Provost, adopt by-laws and rules concerning its own organization, governance, and procedures.
Each faculty shall function under the Dean and Provost and be subjected to the policies of the University.
• A master’s degree or its equivalent in the field of specialization and promise of teaching success and of scholarly or artistic achievements; a candidate without a master’s degree must have equivalent educational or professional experience in the appropriate area of instructional responsibility, and the recommendation for appointment must contain a statement of this equivalence. The rank of Instructor is not a tenure eligible appointment. No one may hold the rank of instructor on a full-time continuous appointment for more than three years or for more than two years with one or more years of prior full-time four year college or University teaching experience.
• Relevant professional experiences in educational or other settings as appropriate to the specific course.
• Content and pedagogical knowledge required for the specific course.
• Ability to teach adult learners.
• Demonstrated commitment to and teaching in diverse settings, as well as working with students from culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
• Prior higher education teaching experience preferred, not required.
• Ability to communicate effectively through oral and written communication.
• FERPA training.
• Annual sexual harassment prevention training.
• Criminal background check.
• Experience online teaching depending on course assignment.
• An earned doctorate or terminal degree in the field of specialization.
• Published research in field of specialization.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
May require extended periods of sitting and standing, bending and stooping, and occasional walking.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Work is primarily performed in a standard office, classroom, or online environment.
THIS POSTING IS NOT A GUARANTEE OF AN OPEN POSITION. Your application will be active for 90 days. Applications are accepted on a continuous basis and are reviewed by the hiring department as openings become available. To maintain your application within the system, you will need to re-apply.
Applicants must complete all applicable sections of the online application to be considered for a position. Candidates who are called for an interview must notify the Department of Human Resources in writing of any reasonable accommodation needed before the date of the interview.
Note: if a job-specific posting is created and you are interested in that specific position, please apply to that job posting. Submission of materials does not guarantee consideration for future employment in openings of this type since availability can be unpredictable and consideration competitive.
To apply, visit https://pacific.peopleadmin.com/postings/18806
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency