Power Plant Operator-Class II
Power Plant Operator-Class II
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
Operates and maintains a steam power plant, on a shift basis, under the direction of the Chief Engineer per Massachusetts General Law chapter 146 section 49.
- Operates, services and maintains boilers, air compressors, centrifugal and reciprocating pumps, and any other auxiliary equipment in the power plant, or directly associated with the operation of the power plant.
- Maintains a shift in the operation and maintenance of the power plant. This will include maintaining correct water level and proper steam and/or water pressure, maintaining equipment related to operation, maintaining records, logs, charts and reports related to plant operation, and other related duties as required. Place boilers on or off line according to demand.
- Maintains an adequate fuel oil inventory, orders and makes the necessary arrangements for the timely delivery of fuel to ensure the continuous operation of the power plant.
- Performs annual preventative maintenance of all power plant equipment during the summer shut down period including but not limited to; making minor equipment repairs, assisting on larger multiple man repairs, entering boiler firing chambers for inspection and repair, general clean-up and painting.
- Performs testing, and undertakes boiler water treatment as may be required.
- Must be available periodically for emergency coverage of alternative shifts due to illness of other power plant operators.
- Observes all safety rules and governmental regulations regarding the operation of the power plant.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Commonwealth of Massachusetts Second Class Fireman's License.
- A Massachusetts Wastewater Treatment Industrial One Operator certificate Preferred.
- This class one Industrial license will allow you to follow and act as the WPI point of contact for all New England Water Pollution Control Commission (NEIWPCC), Massachusetts Water Pollution Control Association (MWPCA), and the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) regulations.
- Minimum of five years experience in power plant operations, maintenance, and troubleshooting in all operations of high pressure boilers and auxiliary equipment.
- Must have basic computer skills, database monitoring and tracking skills.
- Must be able to interact at a professional level with vendors, college administrators, and public representatives.
- Must possess the theory and ability to apply good safety practices around high pressure boilers and high speed rotating equipment.
- WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently move, transport, install, or remove items up to 50 pounds; they must frequently use their hands to finger, or feel while operating, activating, using, preparing, inspecting, or positioning various equipment or objects required to perform the job.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to stand, move, and traverse as well as, move to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to ascend/descend, work atop, and traverse while performing essential job duties. The employee is also occasionally required to sit in a stationary position.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and vibration.
- The work performed in this position does have risk to electrical shock
- The employee occasionally works in outdoor weather conditions, or in wet or humid conditions. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places. Occasionally the employee may work with toxic or caustic chemicals,
- The noise level in this environment is loud.
United States of America (Non-Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Power-Plant-Operator-Class-II_R0001258
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency