Life Science Research Professional 1
Life Science Research Professional 1
Job Number: 88053
The Weinacht Laboratory has an opening for a highly motivated and collaborative Life Science Research Professional (LSRP1) with an interest in stem cell biology and development of the adaptive immune system. Successful candidates will join the Pediatric Division of Stem Cell Transplantation and Regenerative Medicine at Stanford University, School of Medicine.
Our research group uses targeted differentiation of induced pluripotent stem cells to reconstruct the developmental signals that drive thymic epithelial cell differentiation. We also apply our stem cell differentiation platform to dissect the mechanistic basis of genetic diseases that perturb thymic development. The ultimate goal of our work is to develop stem cell-derived regenerative thymic tissues as a platform technology for immunotherapy and to cure patients with thymic defects. As such, candidates with strong biological background and an interest in translational medicine (therapeutic applications of science in medicine) are particularly suitable. The LSRP will learn to generate and characterize induced pluripotent cells (iPSCs), acquire expertise in targeted differentiation techniques, analysis of developmental molecular signatures and signaling pathways. In addition, the applicant has the opportunity to study corresponding murine models.
The LSRP will be a member of a larger research collaborative team that includes stem cell biologists, immunologists, bioengineers and bioinformaticians. Candidates with outstanding personal initiative as well as prior experience in stem cell/molecular/developmental biology, immunology, bioinformatics or related fields are encouraged to apply. This position is particularly suitable for applicants interested in acquiring research experience and building a competitive resume for the application to medical/graduate school. Candidates must adhere to highest ethical principles when working with laboratory animals.
Candidates can expect individualized mentorship tailored to their personal career goals and a positive and goal-oriented work environment.
Learn more about our lab here: https://med.stanford.edu/weinachtlaboratory.html.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in the preparation of written documents, including procedures, presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in related scientific field (e.g. stem cell biology, developmental biology, molecular biology).
- Additional experience in related biological field, e.g., immunology or in bioinformatics is very desirable.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Add or subtract physical requirements based on the requirements of your specific job. (remove this statement for posting)
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: E
- Department URL: http://pediatrics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 88053
Location: School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency