Professional Research Assistant
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS
Colorado School of Public Health
Center of Global Health
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careersThe University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds. Nature of WorkThe Colorado School of Public Health (ColoradoSPH), Center for Global Health has an opening for a part-time (0.5 FTE) position at the rank of Professional Research Assistant (PRA) to assist in research and practice conducted at the Center. This position is focused around data management and analysis, and overall project support, for the ‘Creciendo Sanos’ maternal and child health program in the Trifinio region of southwest Guatemala. The position will be based in Aurora, CO.At the Center for Global Health (CGH) at the Colorado School of Public Health we activate people and programs willing to improve the health and well-being of millions around the world. Our work includes implementation of clinical training programs, infrastructure development for the prevention and treatment of communicable diseases, and corporate consultation in global health education. The Center for Global Health has five areas of focus: family and child health, community health system development (with an emphasis on eHealth), translational research (with an emphasis on vaccines, new therapeutics, and diagnostics), adult health (with an emphasis on non-communicable disease and occupational health), and education in Colorado and throughout the world.The Colorado School of Public Health is a collaborative endeavor involving the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Anschutz), Colorado State University (CSU), and the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). The Colorado School of Public Health is the first and only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain Region, attracting top tier faculty and students from across the country, and providing vital contributions towards ensuring our region’s health and wellbeing. Collaboratively formed in 2008 by CU Denver, CSU and UNC, the Colorado School of Public Health provides training, innovative research and community service to actively address public health issues including chronic disease, access to healthcare, environmental threats, emerging infectious diseases, and costly injuries. The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado, the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region and one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. Currently home to 25,000 employees, more than 5,000 degree-seeking students and two nationally recognized hospitals that handle 1.7 million patient visits each year, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future, carries out a broad range of research, and cares for the state’s children, adults, and veterans. CU Anschutz features schools of medicine, pharmacy, dental medicine and public health, a college of nursing and a graduate school. Supervision ReceivedThis position reports directly to Dr. Thomas Jaenisch, Associate Professor. Supervision ExercisedThis position does not have any supervisory duties. Example of Work Performed
- Assist with project tracking, monitoring, and reporting: including creation of weekly and monthly dashboards, ongoing data cleaning and data quality checks, statistical analyses, and ability to (or willingness to learn) to code qualitative data
- Creation/development and maintenance of databases.
- Creating and linking SAS and R programs with other data sources
- Provide analytic assistance with preparing the IRB submissions (COMIRB, UFM, INCAP, etc.)
- Provide analytic assistance with preparing grant applications, grant renewals and performance reviews.
- Assist in the strategic planning of the project and ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Strong knowledge of basic epidemiologic research principles.
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex data and apply analytical approaches to tasks assigned.
- Excellent communication skills, both written (for example reports, grant applications, manuscript drafts) and oral (presentations, participation in international team meetings), in both English and Spanish.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the project, on a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to take the initiative to solve problems, including a willingness to identify a gap and research the scientific literature to identify potential solutions.
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn new skills and technology.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, respectful of other cultures.
- Good organizational and documentation skills.
- Flexible, self-directed and detail oriented.
- A Bachelor’s degree in public health, epidemiology, statistics, data science, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Strong interest in maternal and child health
- Extensive experience with data (base) management software and content management systems (e.g., REDCap, R, SAS).
- Fluent or conversational in Spanish.
- A Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, statistics, data science, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Experience with data management for epidemiologic research projects.
- Ability to provide analytic assistance for grant writing, proposal development, and manuscript writing.
- Proven experience with R code, including dplyr, ggplot, custom functions including for-loops, and reshaping data from wide to long.
- Or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the individuals with the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Experience in prior similar position for 1-2 years.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Apr 7, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing