Assistant Professor Accounting, Tenure Track
Date: April 7, 2021
Title: Assistant Professor Accounting, Tenure Track
Position Number: 1130
Schedule: 32 weeks (Fall & Winter Semesters)
Start Date: Fall 2021
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Workforce Development
Closing date: May 7, 2021
GRCC is seeking faculty who possess an interest in working with diverse student populations from a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability; engage in and develop innovative teaching strategies; effectively assess student learning outcomes; demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development; and provide service to our students, the college, and our community at large.
Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of departmental work, as well as work associated with the School of Workforce Development and GRCC as a whole. In addition to the major position responsibilities, it is expected that faculty demonstrate outstanding communications skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles and work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of GRCC values.
Each faculty member is responsible for adding value to the overall mission of the business department by contributing to student success through excellence in teaching, new course development, and revisions to current courses. The successful candidate will also participate in community events which strengthens the value proposition the highest quality and the lowest prices and overall brand of the Meijer Center for Business Studies.
The ideal professor will inspire students to change the world by providing the student the means and skills to solve problems and create value in the marketplace.This professor will call the student to a higher level of work by creating a serious environment that challenges students to take their own thinking, planning and studying to a new level.
- Teach courses in accounting, accounting fundamentals, and higher level accounting courses such as cost, tax, intermediate, and computerized classes.
- Effectively assess, document, and advise students regarding their academic performance.
- Demonstrate a commitment to learning centered environment in the classroom.
- Incorporate new technologies and methods for enhanced teaching and learning into instructional methods.
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure proper alignment of related courses.
- Engage in on-going professional development to maintain expertise in the field and communicate outcomes with faculty and administration.
- Maintain professional certifications.
- Advise students on curriculum, academic programs, and employment and career goals.
- Participate in departmental student academic advising plans.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of students from diverse backgrounds with a wide range of abilities.
- Contribute to the growth and development of the department and the College by participating in academic program review; curriculum development, evaluation and revision; committee membership; department and advisory committee meetings.
- Assist the Department Head in the preparation of reports and other required documents.
- Assist in marketing and promoting of departmental and college programs and events.
- Promote the department by creating partnerships with state and local communities, businesses and schools.
- Lead, advise, and support adjunct faculty to ensure consistent standards and instructional practices within each course.
- Adhere to college processes, policies, and contractual obligations
- Support the College’s Strategic Plan through departmental and college action projects as appropriate.
- Support the department and the college through other work normally expected of GRCC faculty members.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or Bachelor degree with a minimum of 25 credit hours in Accounting with a CPA, CMA, or professional accounting certification required.
- Master’s degree in Business with 18 credit hours of accounting or a Master’s degree in accounting and a CPA, CMA, or appropriate accounting certification preferred.
- A minimum of two years (4000 hours) of related work experience in the field of Accounting required.
- Two years successful full-time or equivalent post-secondary teaching required, preferably in a community college.
- Significant, relevant work experience with a medium or large CPA firm or medium/large sized company preferred.
Equipment Use/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities required
- Appropriate technology required to perform the duties of the position
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin, and ability.
- Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Classroom environment in an academic setting.
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor office environment.
Method of application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on May 7, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.