Support Professional-Cashier’s Office, Student Financials Collections Specialist
Date: April 7, 2021
Position Title: Support Professional-Cashier’s Office, Student Financials Collections Specialist Position Number: 1125
Hours Per Week: 40 Hours/52 Weeks (Monday/Tuesday 9 - 6 pm and Wednesday - Friday 8 - 5 pm) Salary Schedule: APSS - Level B, $17.08 per hour
Reports to: Director of Cashier’s Office Posting closes: April 20, 2021
SUMMARY The GRCC Cashier’s Office is responsible for all College cash and the billing and collection of over $55 million in tuition and fees annually. The Student Financials Collection Specialist is the primary contact for students with outstanding account receivable balances. This position supports the collection of past due receivables through billing and outreach. This individual will complete the necessary requirements to assure that students are successful in navigating the options for financing their college education at GRCC.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Primary function is the collection of past due accounts receivables through billing, phone calls, emails and text messages.
- Work closely with collection agencies. Process monthly invoices from collection agencies, including posting payments and completing a journal entry in FSPROD to record the payment.
- Run query daily to update service indicators from student payments made to GRCC and report any payments made to GRCC on accounts turned over to collections agencies on a weekly basis.
- Plan and Coordinate past due accounts receivables billing cycle.
- Collect, process and add service indicators for in-house payment agreements. Send payment reminder communications to students with in-house agreements.
- Create and maintain monthly reporting for Director on receivables collected.
- Foster a friendly, supportive, and welcoming environment for customers.
- Stay up to date on best practice and regulations as they relate to collections.
- Receive student payments, post to the appropriate student accounts and prepare receipts.
- Assist with in person and on the phone with all areas of student finance, providing exceptional customer service.
- Responsible for maintenance and reconciliation of daily individual cash drawer. Run daily cash report, balance tender to report, reconcile discrepancies, and deliver to Head Cashier.
- Assist students and parents in the use of technology to obtain information, make payments, select refund preferences, including but not limited to utilization of the Online Student Center, blackboard (raider card), Bank Mobile, and Nelnet.
- Assist with account balance clean up when payments are pulled to wrong semesters.
- Assist students and parents with interpreting their GRCC student account and planning for payment of their educational expenses.
- Assist with scanning, confirming, and linking documents for students into ImageNow to the appropriate student account.
- Assist in patch testing for updates to the Campus Wide Information System.
- Provide basic information regarding GRCC student services (i.e., application, enrollment, counseling services, financial aid, etc.)
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Cashier’s.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS Education:
- Associates Degree or comparable combination of relevant education and experience.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a similar collection position, preferably in higher education.
- Minimum three years or more customer service experience, preferably in higher education setting.
- Exceptional math skills.
- Accuracy with figures and clerical tasks.
- Must maintain a high level of ethics in dealing with large amounts of money.
- Must use good and independent judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations. Must maintain highest level of confidentiality.
- Ability to prioritize and complete tasks independently and in a timely manner; must be able to multi-task and have a strong attention to detail.
- Proficient in a Windows environment with successful experience using Excel and MS Word. Willingness to learn Campus Wide Information System (CWIS) and ImageNow.
- Proficient with creating and maintaining spreadsheets using Excel.
- Finalists will be required to complete an office testing module and meet minimum standards, plus possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work. An in-basket assignment may be required.
- Ability to plan and work independently and as a team member in a multi-person, high volume customer service department.
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies and responsibilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse student, staff and business partner population and provide exceptional customer service.
- Ability to work under pressure with many interruptions in a busy, student-centered environment.
- Must enjoy working with the public and possess good oral and written communications skills: ability to manage high volume of service requests via phone, email, and in person promptly, courteously and professionally.
- Must be punctual and have good attendance record.
- Be flexible in schedule to allow for changes during the semester. Ability to work evenings, week-ends and additional hours as requested by supervisor.
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service to students and staff in a demanding work environment.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Demonstrates a commitment to continuous improvement, individually and for the College
- Problem-solving qualities in order to service customers efficiently and pleasantly.
- Maintain records, files, and office activities in strict confidence in accordance with FERPA and other legal requirements.
- Exceptional math skills.
- Demonstrated ability to understand basic accounting concepts.
- Create and maintain effective working relationships with staff to ensure a positive team.
- Must be a quick learner.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Aptitude for numbers and detail work.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of a team in a multi-person and high volume customer service department with many interruptions.
- Ability to work in a noisy environment.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
METHOD OF APPLICATION To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on April 20, 2021 at 11:59 PM ET. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.