Assistant Professor TRIO STEM Advisor, Temporary Non-Tenure Track
Date: April 8, 2021
Title: Assistant Professor TRIO STEM Advisor, Temporary Non-Tenure Track
Position Number: 1131
Schedule: 40 hours/week, 52 weeks/year (Grant Funded – End Date August 31, 2025)
Compensation: $ 80,056 (Master’s Degree), $85,356 (Ph.D)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reports to: Dean, Student Success & Retention
Closing date: April 23, 2021
An Academic Advisor in the TRIO Student Support Services/STEM program works in a holistic and comprehensive way to encourage, support, and assist in the development of students who come from first generation, and/or low income backgrounds. We are a federally funded program who serves 475 students in our SSS Traditional program and 120 students in our SSS STEM program.
The core work is done in a case management style and includes: academic and career awareness and guidance, financial literacy both within, and without, of education, personal support and mentoring of both academic and non-academic needs, transfer institution identification and counseling, and identification of opportunities/resources that are critical to the students continued development.
Meeting with students happens in formal and informal ways at one on one appointments, workshops, community engagement opportunities and can take place in person, over the phone, via video conferencing or email/text messaging.
In addition, TRIO advisors serve on college committees, participate in orientation and admissions events as well as act as a liaison to various other departments and transfer institutions. The chosen candidate must interact effectively, and somewhat independently in a fast-paced, high traffic environment while working well with a diverse population of students, faculty and staff.
- Assist students with their transition into higher education by supporting their interaction with their classroom faculty, identifying opportunities to become immersed at GRCC and connecting with their fellow classmates.
- Assist students in their awareness and clarification of career interests and goals.
- Assist students in determining appropriate academic options that align with their career goals.
- Provide quality academic advising that helps students to recognize clear options as it relates to achieving their academic goals.
- Provide case management assistance to an assigned caseload of students which leads to development of an educational pathway to graduation, identification of obstacles along the pathway, and use of decision making skills that help to generate and evaluate alternatives as needed.
- Teach students to gather and organize accurate, relevant information necessary to their education, career, and personal development.
- Maintain clear and concise notes to document history of academic advice provided to individual students.
- Assist in the completion of the annual federal performance report to the Department of Education.
- Contribute to assessment related to student learning and departmental effectiveness.
- Provide support as needed related to ADA Accommodations and Disability Support Services.
- Crisis Assessment and connecting students to appropriate mental health resources as needed.
- Serve as liaison to other departments of the college, community agencies, and educational institutions.
- Identify and connect students to offices/services within the college and community agencies/services outside the college when appropriate.
- Knowledge of occupational credit and non-credit programs offered at GRCC.
- Monitor voicemail and email daily in order take appropriate action on student and staff requests.
- Understanding of confidentiality as related to FERPA guidelines.
- Understanding of the mission of community colleges.
- Maintain expertise in the advising field.
- Support the initiatives of Student Success and Retention through normal activities of faculty members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Counseling, Social Work, Psychology, Higher Education, or closely related Master’s Degree with advising related work required.
- Counseling license preferred.
- Prior experience working in a higher educational setting that provided academic advising and/or related services required.
- Prior experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Bilingual English-Spanish preferred.
Equipment Use/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities required
- Able to utilize the various technology resources required for the job (including but not limited to G-Suite, SARS, Image Now, Degree Works, and all Microsoft Office products).
- Must be proficient in verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Project a professional image including punctuality and good attendance record.
- Ability to ambulate around campus and sit for long periods and travel to off campus sites.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and respect diverse populations.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer service to students and staff in a demanding work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- Pronounced interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a compassionate and professional manner.
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor office environment.
- Have availability Monday-Thursday from 7:45 am to 6:30 pm and Friday from 7:45 am to 5:00 pm as well as some weekend and evening hours- varies by semester.
Method of application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on April 23, 2021. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.