Job descriptionJob no: 698330
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 12
Major Administrative Unit / College: Infrastructure Planning And Facilities
Department: Ipf Maint Serv Structural Area 40001041
Sub Area: SSTU- Skilled Trades
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Skilled Trades- SSTU, Labor/Service/Maintenance, Union
This position will install, repair, replace, and troubleshoot all types of structural systems or components; develop, fabricate, and implement innovative compositions, methods, materials, and equipment to meet specialized needs; custom fabricate wooden items; install, maintain, or replace interior/exterior/overhead/slider doors, windows, acoustical ceilings, fixed seating, architectural specialties and related components; repair and install a wide variety of flooring systems, including base and stair treads; fabricate and install forms and poured-in-place materials; fit, install, maintain, and select finish hardware and fixtures; install laminates and composition coverings; design, fabricate, finish, and repair cabinetry, furniture, and specialized furnishings; install and maintain interior and exterior trim including components; clean, operate, repair and sharpen power saws, mortising machines, tenon machines, determine type and dimensions of stock to be used; cut, shape, and assemble stock; assemble and use general rigging as required. Erect and work from ladders, scaffolding, boom trucks, and similar devices. Read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, sketches and job specifications. Requisition equipment, materials, and parts. Estimate time and materials to be used on the job. Stock, maintain, and may operate a University service vehicle.
This position will engage in high performing, leading edge practices, valuing people, partners and stewardship. At IPF, we are committed to fostering an equitable, inclusive culture; engaging and hiring a diverse workforce.Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
- Completion of a high school education or an equivalent combination of technical training and experience.
- Successful completion of an applicable trade-specific Trades Helper program, or completion of an approved apprenticeship program, or an associate degree, or equivalent education/experience.
- Five years’ experience in the trade that includes three years of experience in commercial carpentry installation, maintenance and troubleshooting; and demonstrated ability to independently perform the duties and responsibilities of the classification, or equivalent experience.
- Expert knowledge of methods, materials, tools, equipment, occupational hazards, and safety precautions of the trade.
- Expert knowledge of applicable building codes, rules, and regulations (local, state, and federal).
- Possession of a valid vehicle operator's license.
- Must furnish own hand tools.
- Frequent lifting of 26 to 75 pounds and occasional lifting of over 75 pounds.
Experience in commercial construction; interior/exterior/overhead/slider door systems; commercial hardware; mill shop; troubleshooting all types of structural systems; computer experience; experience in customer contact; ability to meet MSU standards for safe driving.
A creative and innovative lifelong learner with the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population; able to problem solve within a collaborative team environment; ability to understand different perspectives while utilizing expert knowledge of the technical operations of the job.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
NON-STANDARD/VARIABLE WORK HOURS: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm and may require after-hours, weekend and holiday work.Summary of Physical Demands
Lifting materials on job site.
Installation of materials on job site.
Risks that have been identified by Environmental Health and Safety, such as exposure to lead, chemotherapy, formaldehyde, asbestos, PCB's, etc.Bidding eligibility ends on 4/13/2021 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Apr 7, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Apr 13, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time