Research Assistant I
Job descriptionJob no: 698499
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 11
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Department: Plant Soil And Microbial Sciences 40000781
Sub Area: AP- Professionals
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Administrative Professionals- AP, Administrative/Business/Professional, Agriculture, Research/Scientific, Union
The Wheat Breeding and Genetics program at Michigan State University is seeking a highly motivated individual to work as a member of the wheat variety development and research program. This position will support winter wheat variety development efforts through breeding nurseries, field-based research and greenhouse management. Field activities will include preparation, planting, and harvest in early generation wheat breeding nurseries and research plots. Work will involve operation and maintenance of research tractors, planters and combines. Seasonal breeding nursery maintenance and data collection will take place in in outdoor conditions. Greenhouse activities may involve planting, maintaining and harvesting plants used in crossing, population development and research activities when additional assistance is needed. Assisting in oversight of hourly employees and staff will be required.Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in the specific field of research employment or other related science fields; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in standard laboratory procedures and safety requirements and performing analytical and research techniques in an area related to research being performed; may require software specific to the area of research; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The position may require special licensing or certification in the field related to the area of employment.
- Four-year college degree in Crop and Soil Sciences, Horticulture or related field
- Experience operating and maintaining farm equipment including but not limited to tractors, planters and combines.
- Experience in loading and securing farm equipment on trailers including towing to off-site locations for planting, harvest, etc.
- Ability to obtain a class A CDL
- Ability to obtain a commercial pesticide applicator license
- B.S. degree in Crop and Soil Sciences, Horticulture or related field; Associate degree in an agricultural science and five years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with field plot research methodologies
- M.S. in Plant Breeding, Genetics, Agronomy, Plant Pathology or related field
- Experience working with plant pathogens
- Experience in greenhouse management
- Demonstrated proficiency in operating field research implements with GIS-enabled applications
- commercial pesticide applicators license to apply herbicides and fungicides.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.Required Application Materials
Two reference lettersWork Hours
STANDARD 8-5Description of End Date
This is an off-dated position funded for one year from date of hire with possible extension contingent upon funding renewal.Summary of Physical Demands
lifting and carrying various itemsSummary of Health Risks
commercial pesticide applicators license to apply herbicides and fungicides.Bidding and Eligibility Ends on 4/13/2021 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Apr 7, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Apr 20, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time